CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
Travis Rask

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
The weight will never feel "not heavy" once you get to a certain point, even after a reset.

Just a thought.
I'm aware of that.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
Justin Clark

Profile:

Just started starting strength yesterday, I am a 22 year old male, 6'1 and i weigh 165 pounds. My goal is to get stronger and try to get to around 180 pounds. Stared my 5 rep documentation yesterday Squat- 175, Bench-125, Deadlift-205
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #23
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Clark View Post
Just started starting strength yesterday, I am a 22 year old male, 6'1 and i weigh 165 pounds. My goal is to get stronger and try to get to around 180 pounds. Stared my 5 rep documentation yesterday Squat- 175, Bench-125, Deadlift-205
At that height you should shoot for at least 200lbs. GOMAD will be your friend for about a month or so as well.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #24
Justin Clark

Profile:

What does rippletoe suggest on failed sets? today i was trying 185 on squats, finished the first set fine but one the second and third set i failed on the 4th squat and had to have help completing the squat, I also failed on my power cleans too, but i was trying to move up 10 lbs on those, which is too much for me. Anyways, I've already went up 10 lbs. on everything that i started out on and been doing it right for a week now, just kinda confused on what to do from here
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #25
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Quote:
What does rippletoe suggest on failed sets? today i was trying 185 on squats, finished the first set fine but one the second and third set i failed on the 4th squat and had to have help completing the squat, I also failed on my power cleans too, but i was trying to move up 10 lbs on those, which is too much for me. Anyways, I've already went up 10 lbs. on everything that i started out on and been doing it right for a week now, just kinda confused on what to do from here

Sounds like you started out at a weight way too high for you. You should not be stalling on week 2, nor should you even be close to stalling. I'd drop to 120-125 and start over, adding 5 lbs each work out. You are supposed to hit your maxes in your 5th to 6th week of doing SS. It's also likely you aren't eating enough or recovering enough. It is supposed to be easy at the beginning. Easy lifts will help you nail down your form on the lifts so that when you get up to heavy weight you will have a good idea of what you are doing.

Buy the book. Read the book. Then do the program.

Last edited by David Z Sachs : 06-06-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
Justin Clark

Profile:

im drinking a gallon of milk and a day and eating mainly lean meats, ive gained about 5 pounds this week so i know it isnt that, but the 5 reps on the workouts i started out with i started out with weight that was hard, i didn't know you were supposed to start light, i figured by starting heavier i could only get stronger. I do have the book and have read most of it, but not all the way through
Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #27
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
im drinking a gallon of milk and a day and eating mainly lean meats, ive gained about 5 pounds this week so i know it isnt that, but the 5 reps on the workouts i started out with i started out with weight that was hard, i didn't know you were supposed to start light, i figured by starting heavier i could only get stronger. I do have the book and have read most of it, but not all the way through
you want to make it so you don't hit your old 5 rm until around week 5. so if your current squat 5 rm is 185 you should basically be squatting ~135/145 in week 1. week 1 should be very easy, it's about building up the weight in a linear fashion, week 5 you will blow past your old 5 rms.

gomad is really for the guys who can't put on the weight, if you're a good build or even overweight gomad is not necessary at all, just eat a lot of good foods.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
Justin Clark

Profile:

Alright, I think I will restart this week starting with about 35 lbs less than what I am at now, and I am doing GOMAD because I am about 6'1 and i only weigh 165, (170 now with a week of gomad). I did crossfit for about 2 months and just got tried of now seeing the results I wanted. I of course got in much better shape and got more "fit" but I play rugby at my school and I really just need to beef up and see increased in my strength. I am thankful you guys told me this, now that I know I failed on 185 yesterday when i get back to 185 in a few weeks and it seems easy I will be ecstatic. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
I am thankful you guys told me this, now that I know I failed on 185 yesterday when i get back to 185 in a few weeks and it seems easy I will be ecstatic. Thanks for the help.
yeah definitely lower the weights, if anything err on the side of starting lower, it's much better than stalling out right away (that can be demoralizing).

for motivation i got stuck on a 185 lb squat prior to doing 70's big (similar linear strength program), in fact that was the stimulus to get me on the program, and i just squatted a 275 5 X 3 yesterday and did a 1 rm of over 300 last week, i started my program 12 weeks ago so it goes fast.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
Justin Clark

Profile:

Ha nice, I will lower the weights then report back in about 6 weeks and let you guys know what I got to