CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Tamara,

Thanks a lot, I was hoping you would chime in.

I have the book and have made it through most of the technique sections and part of the programming section. I might have missed information, and I apologize if it's there.

5 lbs per session for squats and deads and 2.5 lbs for bench and press. I was eventually microloading 2 lbs a session for squats toward the end of my LP. Better to stall later rather than sooner, especially on bench and press.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
Travis Rask

Profile:

Update: Just hit my 12 week goal of 315 x 5 on back squat. Made the 10# jump today to make it happen before I go out of town for a week. Felt great.

No resets yet...none looming either. Full steam ahead.

Do the program as RX and it will do you wonders.

Translation: Don't F around with metcons, "little jogs", or whatever else you think you can squeeze in. Lift. Eat. Sleep. Poop. Repeat. That's it.

405 x 5 back squat by end of year looking more and more like a realistic goal.

Taking a week off for a trip to D.C...I think I will come back stronger than ever.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Thats awseome. Your results are crazy. Things like this are making me more and more excited to do SS this summer, but my over-eagerness may get the better of me, and I may start a little before
Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #14
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Thats awseome. Your results are crazy. Things like this are making me more and more excited to do SS this summer, but my over-eagerness may get the better of me, and I may start a little before
why not start now? why wait till summer?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

I dont have a barbell and plates at home yet, and due to the way my fitness class works, i would not be able to do a strict program during the class, which is where i have access to most of the equipment i use.

Im basically looking over Kijiji and craigslist religiously for a good deal. If nothing shows up by the summer, Im just goign to go to CF Toronto to purchase some plates.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Steve Bray

Profile:

aww ok awesome :P
well goodluck! keep us posted.... but your already to strong/fit for your weight/age... its making me feel bad haha nah good job mate!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
aww ok awesome :P
well goodluck! keep us posted.... but your already to strong/fit for your weight/age... its making me feel bad haha nah good job mate!
Oh, dont worry, ocnce I start SS, youll see a hella lot of posts from me in my soon-to-be workout log and the digital coaching section
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #18
Steve Bray

Profile:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66672&page=2

jump over to my log if you get a chance to check it out im alwasy open for advice from anyone and evryone
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
Travis Rask

Profile:

Follow up word of advice.

If possible, do NOT take any irresponsible breaks if your LP is progressing.

I made it through week 12, work sets of 315 and 205 on bench...no problems whatsoever.

Took a week off for work training in DC, had a little too good of a time, came back this week and bonked. Reset to 285 and it still feels like a ton of bricks.

I have not doubt my LP would have progressed a few more weeks had I not been a bonehead...but even Rip says "life stuff" (PG rated version of what he said) happens and it's all about steps forward, back, forward.

I remember reading about this in Charlie Karnick's log (awesome source of inspiration for the strength aspired).

Anyways...finishing this week out and moving on to Greyskull LP.

Pretty sure I killed my momentum on SS, and need to start adding in conditioning for work (firefighter), so Greyskull LP will be a nice change.

I still plan to be doing worksets of 405 on squat, 405 on DL and 225 on bench by the end of year. Very attainable still, IMHO.

Prowler comes in the mail today (Rogue Butcher)...can't wait!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #20
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

The weight will never feel "not heavy" once you get to a certain point, even after a reset.

Just a thought.