CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #21
Rene Forestier

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo... 4 days after Rhabdo. URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yes, like in this picture.

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000846.html (wfs)

On that date Glassman was giving away free t-shirts with the rhabdo picture on them. Read the comments.
Thanks for digging that up. I think the warning under the picture is pretty clear. Check out Comment 158...a physician joking about rhabdo...another case of black humour...he's obviously NOT encouraging/making light of it as he would see the seriousness of it.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 12-16-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
Brian Strump

Profile:

It was more to the point of if I'm running a successful affiliate, and my target demo is 25-54 y.o females, a surefire way of getting them not to feel comfortable with their first impression is to be the promotion of Uncle Rhabo, and Pukie. Whether, they are related in anyway was not my point.

Amongst friends, or getting in trouble on a mission/call is another story.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #23
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
It was more to the point of if I'm running a successful affiliate, and my target demo is 25-54 y.o females, a surefire way of getting them not to feel comfortable with their first impression is to be the promotion of Uncle Rhabo, and Pukie. Whether, they are related in anyway was not my point.

You're right. From a marketing perspective its probably not the best first impression.

I think that's sort of the crux...the shared sense of working really hard forms a bit of a bond among CF'ers...we are among friends, I thought.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 12-16-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #24
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post

When rhabdo and pukie were "mascots" and heavily utilized 25-54 yo women weren't really the demographic CF was chasing.

The folks that were, appreciated the black humor, I suspect.

Nobody has challenged my assertion that CF has been good for rhabdo awareness and not a primary cause.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post

Nobody has challenged my assertion that CF has been good for rhabdo awareness and not a primary cause.
And Michael Vick has been good for animal abuse awareness and not a primary cause...
Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
And Michael Vick has been good for animal abuse awareness and not a primary cause...

Thomas, have you had rhabdo from CF? It's not really all that common. It's far more commmon in many other "sports." It's common in burn victims and crush victims too, I'm sure CF caused them as well. It's black humor, used as a way to raise awareness. If you don't appreciate black humor, sorry. I like it even more than sarcasm
Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #27
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Thomas, have you had rhabdo from CF? It's not really all that common. It's far more commmon in many other "sports." It's common in burn victims and crush victims too, I'm sure CF caused them as well. It's black humor, used as a way to raise awareness. If you don't appreciate black humor, sorry. I like it even more than sarcasm
The problem is that -- among Crossfitters -- beginners are among the most likely rhabdo victims, often due to poor programming and/or poor scaling. So you take people who are new to intense exercise, with no particular goals beyond "getting in better shape," and the first thing you do is put them in the hospital because you wanted to prove how tough your workouts are. Oops.

That's a very different situation from ultramarathoners and military athletes. Whether they know about rhabdo specifically or not, they know that they've signed up for a brutal experience, and they've often done a lot of hard training to get to the starting line.

Katherine
Old 12-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #28
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
No I don't appreciate it. I find it downright offensive. Sarcasm/humor is one thing when you're dealing with silly stuff like trash talking towards other athletes, but in matters of life, death and liver failure, it is not funny at all. Do hospitals use black humor to raise awareness for cancer? Didn't think so.

Show some respect for the OP. I don't think he finds it funny either.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 AM   #29
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
No I don't appreciate it. I find it downright offensive. Sarcasm/humor is one thing when you're dealing with silly stuff like trash talking towards other athletes, but in matters of life, death and liver failure, it is not funny at all. Do hospitals use black humor to raise awareness for cancer? Didn't think so.

Show some respect for the OP. I don't think he finds it funny either.
Yep, many people appreciate black humor; I'm sorry you don't. Many people use it to help deal with some of the s**tty stuff in their lives. I'm a bit angered but not surprised in your dramatic attempt to connect a disease that kills million every year to CrossFit induced rhabdo (similar to drawing lines b/w exercise-induced nausea and rhabdo).

Many cancer survivors use/share black humour. The phrases "Barbells for Boobs" and "Save the Tatas" in reference to fundraisers are a form of black humour in that countless breast cancer survivors suffer mastectomies...some don't like those phrases for that reason...I guess maybe you don't.

Was CF right to use Uncle Rhabdo? Maybe not, but its not around anymore, anyway. Perhaps because too many people misunderstood/took it too literally.

Maybe the OP appreciates black humour, maybe he doesn't, but that has nothing to do with my consideration for his friend's injury.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 12-17-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #30
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Yep, many people appreciate black humor; I'm sorry you don't. Many people use it to help deal with some of the s**tty stuff in their lives. I'm a bit angered but not surprised in your dramatic attempt to connect a disease that kills million every year to CrossFit induced rhabdo (similar to drawing lines b/w exercise-induced nausea and rhabdo).

Many cancer survivors use/share black humour. The phrases "Barbells for Boobs" and "Save the Tatas" in reference to fundraisers are a form of black humour in that countless breast cancer survivors suffer mastectomies...some don't like those phrases for that reason...I guess maybe you don't.

Was CF right to use Uncle Rhabdo? Maybe not, but its not around anymore, anyway. Perhaps because too many people misunderstood/took it too literally.

Maybe the OP appreciates black humour, maybe he doesn't, but that has nothing to do with my consideration for his friend's injury.
I'm a cop. I LOVE black humor. Use it all the time. It's how we cope. The difference here is that Crossfit's black humor is about something ( for the sake of argument) it causes that can be avoided. I guarantee you I don't walk around wearing a T Shirt saying I killed someone with a funny clown on it.