CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #81
Charlie Karnick

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
SS does squats 3X a week. Maybe you're just not recovering. I know I couldn't go at my Max 3X a week. Look at 5-3-1. I switched over to that.
SS does get challenging to recover from after you're hitting weights on squats closer to you're true 5 rep max, but this early on especially at his height and weight he should continue to add weight for a long time thus increasing what his current 5 rep max actually is. 5/3/1 is better suited for intermediate lifters or people that are already very strong (say 5-600lb squat and deadlift) because it's simply not enough heavy lifting especially for a beginner who should be taking advantage of your body's ability to adapt to adding weight to the bar rapidly in the early stages.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #82
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

Form may be the issue. I'll try to get myself videotaped within the next two sessions but I would be counting on someone I know being at the gym when I'm there but hopefully it'll work out.

For my other lifts, right now I'm at (3x5, that is):
bench: 175
press: 120
clean: 135
deadlift: 245

deadlift is low because I had some grip issues one day where I kept having to reset my grip so I stayed at 245 for mutiple sessions til my grip strength improved and I could do them without resetting my grip. Maybe that's not appropriate but it seemed logical.

Aside from that, I'm not being challenged on any of the other lifts yet. Obviously, they are progressing more slowly than squats because I'm not doing them 3x like I am the squats. Doing the standard bench/deadlift and press/clean pairing on alternating sessions.

Another thing to note is that I'm not dealing with soreness... sometimes, because I do deadlifts last, I feel some hamstring tightness that might be because of the squats earlier but it's nothing... and I don't have DOMS or anything like that. I doubt I'm squatting enough for soreness to even exist.

Yes, I have read the relevant sections of Starting Strength (I skimmed instead of reading the chapter on assistance exercises, though). As for the question about low bar squats... As far as I know (and again, form may be the issue at hand here), I am doing them as Rippetoe suggests or at least I'm trying to. I'll have to get video to confirm or not.

From my understanding, that good morning effect usually happens when someone is trying to do low bar and roughly doing it but it's not quite right... and I have been having that good morning squat thing going on here.

Thanks again for the help. It'll be interesting to see how the video turns out.

Last edited by Ramsey Abdulrahim : 09-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #83
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Videos on everything if you want help. It has to be a form issue if squats magically get impossible just from adding 5lbs to a weight you previously got without much trouble. All those numbers are far lower than they should be on your second or third go-round of SS.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #84
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

I'm hoping to get the video on Saturday but today's workout, I tried to do 3x5x245 over again, got 2x5x245 without as much good morning squatting which was an improvement but I felt beat after the second set. Rested 8 minutes, tried for the 3rd and couldn't get it.

Later, I tried my deadlifts and I couldn't get even one rep at 265... lowered back down to 245 and couldn't get the bar up on multiple tries even though I just did 245 on my last deadlift day with complete ease! So much for not being challenged yet on my other lifts.

Is it possible that I'm getting burned out? I'm only doing SS and I'm not experiencing any soreness at all but I felt shot after that 2nd set of squats at 245 today. I slept 10.5 hours before this workout even so it's not a lack of recovery. No soreness, no tightness, plenty of sleep, feel very loose but got worn out.

I even tried to get myself hyped and aggressive and thought about something that makes me want to punch in a wall, but it still didn't help move the weight.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #85
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Burnout (aka exhausting a linear progression, which is what I think you mean here) occurs when you've reached a high enough percentage of your genetic potential that you're not able to recover from one workout before the next one comes up--that means it's time to switch to an intermediate program. Not to sound disrespectful, but you're not burned out at 245x5x3 on the squat and 245x5 for deadlifts given how much you say you're eating and sleeping.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #86
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Burnout (aka exhausting a linear progression, which is what I think you mean here) occurs when you've reached a high enough percentage of your genetic potential that you're not able to recover from one workout before the next one comes up--that means it's time to switch to an intermediate program. Not to sound disrespectful, but you're not burned out at 245x5x3 on the squat and 245x5 for deadlifts given how much you say you're eating and sleeping.
must just be a bad day then. Thanks. So I don't have to worry about that.