CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #111
Justin McCallon

Profile:
Re: Concerned what effect the 2010 programming will have on future competitors :(

I don't even train using CrossFit methods and I disagree with CF consistently. I am pretty far from drinking any "kool aid."

You can say there's no basis in fact that kipping pull-ups make you better at Strict pull-ups, but I've worked out with a good number of the people at the Games. I can only do about 35 or so kipping pull-ups, and I have no problem maxing a Marine Corp PFT pull-up test. Most of the Games athletes can do 40-60 kipping pull-ups. I guarantee they can do 20 strict. I haven't done strict pull-ups, palms-facing-away, for reps, in about a year. I am positive I can still do 20 dead hangs.

You act as if there must be some kind of scientific documentary reproduced in pubmed for this. Almost every person in my gym (CrossFit Atlanta) that has been working out for at least 6 months can do 20.

As far as KD's comment being dumb -- it is without any question true. I disagree with almost everything KD writes, but the specific quote is absolutely correct.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #112
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Concerned what effect the 2010 programming will have on future competitors :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
I`m still ****ed the NBA got rid of all the 5'10 white guys.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #113
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

there is just the old "only deadhang = REALLL pull up" again
it's a macho thing, nothing more. I had that attitude too...

John: in Crossfit the "default pull up" is kipping

I agree with the following: since CF's claim is, that kipping pull up have a higher carry over, why not prove it in the games?
what are the taks that would favor someone with a high number of kipping pull ups (Speal) and see how those people fare?
Would like to see it.

(Hope I made the cut back OT )
Old 07-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #114
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Zwinger View Post
what are the taks that would favor someone with a high number of kipping pull ups (Speal) and see how those people fare?
Rope climbs, wall jumps
Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #115
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

then, the last part of the last event was good reputation for Speal!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #116
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Having administered more than a few dozen PFTs over the last few years, I hate strict pullups because they're very hard to judge. You're required to go to lockout at the bottom, but according to the PFT order you're allowed a "slight" bend in your elbows...I can't remember the exact wording but it's something along those lines. So how much is "slight" bend? You're allowed a "slight" amount of body swing, but no kipping. So again, how much is "slight" swing? It's all in the eyes of whoever is administering the PFT and how much they allow the Marine to game it. Marines obviously want to do them quickly so they get as many as possible before their grip gives out, which just causes them to get more and more questionable on the lockout. If you make them pause for a second at lockout, you're going to cause their numbers to drop unfairly. I

would prefer it take 25 pullups to max it, but that you be allowed to kip or butterfly or whatever. At least with kipping pullups you know people are going to full lockout.

And since it seems to be necessary in order to comment on this post, I've done 20 deadhangs on every PFT I've ever taken over the last 11 years, at bodyweights ranging from 160-210lbs, and with kipping pullup numbers that range from 50 to only 37 as of last week (that's what getting fat will do to you).
Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #117
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
When you strip out the moronic "I like to claim I a CF old skooler and I laff at other people" type replies (Shane, Ashion et al) that ignore the facts and instead go for the condescending laugh-line, nothing that I have said is actually in debate here.

It's Aushion...