CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
joseph elberti

Profile:

I am fairly new to crossfit, and I have been looking around the site for information regarding stabalising and preventing shoulder injuries.

I am in my mid thirties, and am entering a profession that will be somewhat taxing on my joints (chiropractic). I am just starting to reach that age where I am realising my own mortality, and I want to make sure that I take care of myself properly in order to preserve my ability to work.

I am concearned about my shoulders and overhead pressing movements, handstands as well. I started trying to learn some of the lifts (snatches, overhead squats etc) and noticed a bit of shoulder soreness.

So far, what I have come up with to strengthen the shoulder girdle (I am particularly concearned with the rotator cuff):
-turkish get ups
-ring dips/ring work
-shoulder dislocates and overhead squats for flexibility

I am looking for any further advice.

I started handstand progressions ala Coach Summers, with one handed handstands. And I have incorporated a routine where I start with a BB- do a turkish get up, followed by lowering the BB to the floor, and a one armed snatch or clean-jerk followed by a windmill and one armed overhead squat....all as a general warm-up each time I work out.

So, with all of this new exercise, bam... shoulder soreness, not muscular, but there was no sudden or acute pain. This has me concearned about overhead lifts, hence, the post here.

Any advice regarding takeing good care of/ strengthening rotator cuff/glenohumeral joint?

PS- am I correct in assuming that carrying the humeral head low in the GH (shoulder) joint during overhead lifts is optimal? Is there something that I need to be paying better attention to when I do overhead lifts (other than stay away from the dreaded abducted externally over-rotated position?)

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Eric Moffit

Profile:
CrossFit Journal back issue #37, "The Lifting Shoulder"

w/ any overhead resistance (overhead squat, jerk, push press, shoulder press, handstand, anything, your shoulders should be shrugged in your ears, the so-called 'active' shoulder. this protects your shoulder.

also, http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/13818.html ...be sure to read both pages.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Question for gentlemen with oly experience:

Does adding full ROM pressing protect the shoulder against injury?

I pushed snatch-grip push-presses behind the neck too hard, too often, for a while, and developed an overuse injury from lowering the bar to my shoulders between reps. Obviously, going heavy all the time a couple times a week is the principal cause for this injury, but I can't help but wonder if the strength discrepancy between strength in the end of the ROM and the full ROM contributed to the problem. This idea occured to me when I read Arthur Drechsler's reccomendation, in the Weightlifting Encyclopedia, that he saw less shoulder injuries when the press was a part of competition.

So the question is, would I be well-advised to add full-ROM presses from rack into program once my shoulder is back in fighting shape to safeguard against future injuries?