CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
Davi Cohen

Profile:
Re: Herniated L4/l5 disc.

Also, one more thing:

I'm thinking a lot about how to make everything I do therapeutic. IN other words: healing my body is more important than doing anything "as prescribed" and if there's something that I want to do that requires me to manage my pain while I'm doing it, but there are other things I can do that actually alleviate pain, I'm opting for the second category right now. Everything I did before will be there for me to resume doing when the time is right and in the ways that are healthiest.

Injury sucks, but it's also a great opportunity to 'reset'. I've had a lot of injuries and I've come back stronger and wiser each time. This is the first time in my life that I've had two injuries in rapid succession, both unprecipitated by specific traumatic events (i.e. an accident of some kind) ---> so it's clear to me that I need to rectify some imbalances in the way I've been training, resting (or not), and moving.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #22
Francesco Deparis

Profile:

I have had this same issue since 01'. Since starting CrossFit I have little to no sciatic pain. I definitely think the movements help...in your case it looks like your disc was bulging for awhile and the deadlift is what pushed it over the edge.

I highly recommend swimming and agree with the others on mckinsey movements, they have helped me tremendously in the past. You should really focus on strengthening your core/posterior chain to keep that disc in place.

Hope you are feeling better!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #23
Brian Pressman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi Cohen View Post
Also, one more thing:

I'm thinking a lot about how to make everything I do therapeutic. IN other words: healing my body is more important than doing anything "as prescribed" and if there's something that I want to do that requires me to manage my pain while I'm doing it, but there are other things I can do that actually alleviate pain, I'm opting for the second category right now. Everything I did before will be there for me to resume doing when the time is right and in the ways that are healthiest.

Injury sucks, but it's also a great opportunity to 'reset'. I've had a lot of injuries and I've come back stronger and wiser each time. This is the first time in my life that I've had two injuries in rapid succession, both unprecipitated by specific traumatic events (i.e. an accident of some kind) ---> so it's clear to me that I need to rectify some imbalances in the way I've been training, resting (or not), and moving.
Thanks for the advice Davi. I actually tried acupuncture a few years ago for some headaches and had a bit of success with it. Maybe I can try it again now.

I am about 3.5 weeks out from d-day (disc day) and am almost... pain free in everyday life. I say almost because while the mornings feel great... I seem t tighten up by late afternoon. Still using lots of ice but no pain killers or muscle relaxers of late. I've been following the "if it hurts don't do it" advice religiously. I do live with discomfort which I think is different than pain. This allows me to swim, row (i have no idea why this doesnt hurt), and use the elliptical machine. I even tried a slow 1km jog yesterday and felt ok after. I know the disc is still in the way tho... because if I happen to bend the wrong way (usually washing dishes or getting into my car) that stabbing sciatica comes right back.

I've tried to do the exercises recommended (McKinnsey, dog point, etc) with some success.

The other problem I have is that my upper body is out of alignment. It looks like im leaning to one side (yet im not). Im thinking this is from over compensating/limping around in the first two weeks when things were really bad. Hoping my physical therapist can get rid of that when I start seeing him on Friday.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #24
Brian Pressman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco Deparis View Post
I have had this same issue since 01'. Since starting CrossFit I have little to no sciatic pain. I definitely think the movements help...in your case it looks like your disc was bulging for awhile and the deadlift is what pushed it over the edge.

I highly recommend swimming and agree with the others on mckinsey movements, they have helped me tremendously in the past. You should really focus on strengthening your core/posterior chain to keep that disc in place.

Hope you are feeling better!
Thanks Francesco. Yeah, core has always been a problem for me! All that yummy beer I drank over the years is still hanging out there. One of the reasons i loved crossfit was for those knees to elbows and GHT situps. Hope I can do those again soon.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #25
Brian Pressman

Profile:

Quote:
Herniations are no fun!

Big, important rule to live by: If it hurts, don't do it. If it provides you with relief, *probably* do it (but, for instance, many people will want to bend AWAY from the side with the herniation because it takes pressure of the nerve root, but it can also serve to reinforce the herniation or likewise will want to flex instead of extend [but in my case, at first even just bringing my chin towards my chest would send unbearable searing pain down to my toes]...so you have to be savvy with this stuff. Experiment with both sides and it's worth consulting with someone, even if you do decide to rehab on your own primarily as I am doing).

Swift healing!
This is interesting. I'm thinking I fell into that bend away from the side with the herniation (although in my case it is a center herniation but sciatica is on the right) which is why my whole upper body is off kilter. I'm assuming this from my 2 weeks of limping around when things were really bad. I now have a pretty funky s curve in my bide section now. Hoping the PT can iron that out.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #26
Davi Cohen

Profile:

Out of curiosity - when people write "McKinsey" (or McKinnsey, etc) do they actually mean "McKenzie"? As in Robin McKenzie?

I imagine so (and I think I even misspelled his name earlier), but just making sure we're all talking about the same fella since presumably people will use this thread for reference.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #27
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Out of curiosity - when people write "McKinsey" (or McKinnsey, etc) do they actually mean "McKenzie"? As in Robin McKenzie?

I imagine so (and I think I even misspelled his name earlier), but just making sure we're all talking about the same fella since presumably people will use this thread for reference.
Yes. You are correct.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #28
John DeSouza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Just because he herniates a disc doing a deadlift, doesn't mean that is what "caused" his injury. Short of big traumas(car accident, football/rugby/hockey collisions), these injuries can happen doing virtually anything. A sneeze or or picking a pencil from the floor has brought many people into the doctors office for disc herniations, as had the deadlift...probably more.
I got this injury dropping a bag of groceries on the floor
Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #29
John DeSouza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pressman View Post
So I herniated my l4/l5 disc a few weeks ago during a wod. I had run the marathon a few weeks prior and im guessing that made me weaker than normal. I had an MRI done which confirmed it is a herniated disc. I have terrible pain hip radiating down to my ankle. My doctor says I can't do anything for awhile which is obvious since I can barely function.

Are there any guys/gals out there who have recovered and returned to crossfit from this injury who have any advice on recovering? About the only thing I can do without pain now is swim.

Even though Im in pain all I can think about is getting back to crossfit.
Brian: I injured my lower back dropping a bag of groceries on the floor,Sep2008. I was in pain for 2 weeks and then could get back to walking for short stints on treadmill. Got my MRI and this was the result:

' There is a bulging disc with an outer annular teat at the L4-L5 level and there is a small central disc herniation present causing mild mass effect on the ventral sub arachnoid space. There is a slight bulging of the disc at the L5-S1 with disc dessication but there is no focal herniation or significant spinal stenosis. The conus terminates at the T12-L1 level and is not enlarged. The neural foramina appear normal. The neural foramina appear normal. The cauda equina are not thickened.'

I have had lower back pain before doing squats and deadlifts but did not heed to it, am a puppy CFitter.

At present day, my Dr has advised doing any lower body workouts lest ot put more stress on my back. Body weight squats have been cleared. I am doing cardio - running on treadmill at slow speeds and low inclines.

If you get any good info or recommendation from PT can you post on this thread, am following your thread.

Have not been able to find a good PT yet...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #30
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeSouza View Post
I got this injury dropping a bag of groceries on the floor
that's just the straw that broke the camel's back.....takes a long time to build up to that