CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Herniated L4/l5 disc.

Basically, try all of them and see what helps the best.

You'll find people are different. One that helps someone may not help another person or may even cause another pain.

Then do the ones that help the most, especially if you are having pain still.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Brian Pressman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Try then now. 3 weeks post injury is a good time to get moving. The vids Steven posted are typically what we show to patients at the start of rehab. If you cannot do the exercise correctly, as described in the vids I wouldn't do that particular one. You will most likely have limited ranges of motion, but just getting motion through the joints of the spine is a good place to start. Don't overdue it, or try to rush back. There are tons of variables to the success of your recovery. Patience is on that list, after age, sex, health, diet, smoker, diabetic, trauma history to name a few.
Try 2x/week and work up to 3-4 times of the exercises shown, its a good place to start. DO NOT forget to ice afterwards, 20-30 minutes a few times a day.
Thanks Brian. Quick question: Should I be icing my lower back (where the problem is) or my hip (where the pain is via sciatica)?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pressman View Post
Thanks Brian. Quick question: Should I be icing my lower back (where the problem is) or my hip (where the pain is via sciatica)?
I would ice the low back and hip. Are you still getting radiating pain? Has the doctor that ordered the MRI, or the one that read it, given you any rehab, recommended PT, chiro?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
Brian Pressman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I would ice the low back and hip. Are you still getting radiating pain? Has the doctor that ordered the MRI, or the one that read it, given you any rehab, recommended PT, chiro?
Hi Brian. Yes, I am still getting a bit of pain down my leg and into my calve muscle. Not nearly as bad as before tho. Im assuming the Orthopedic doctor I saw didn't sign me up for PT yet because at my last appointment (1 week ago) I could barely move. Its really only been the last 4-5 days that I've improved. Im thinking the PT will be assigned at my coming appointment next week.

Of course I'm eager to do anything to speed the recovery process along which is why im trying to start the stretches on my own.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Anthony Ricci

Profile:

Brian -get a good PT and Chiro
Most herniations come from years of faulty motion patterns joints,muscles,ligaments,kinesthetics all need to be addressed
Good luck.

Anthony Ricci D.C.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
Scott Boyles

Profile:

I've had 2 herniations L4-5 and two surgeries. I'm doing CrossFit and need to keep weights low. The last Dr. said I'd re-herniate again and need a fusion, he also said not to lift over 50 lbs. That was 5 years ago, I regularly exceed the 50 pound limit, but I don't pull from the floor. During this time I also started trail running and CrossFit. Doing research on core conditioning after the second surgery is what brought me to CrossFit. I continue to mountain bike, nordic ski, etc.. The most likely reason I herniated the second time was because neither my Dr. or PT adressed the extreme inflexibility in my hams, hips, etc. After my 2nd surgery, one year following the first, I re-herniated following a 4 hour road ride, constant flexion. The Next PT was competent, about 6 weeks post op they started me on a pilates based rehab., specific to core strength and flexibility....Be cautious and go slow. Find a good PT that will listen to you, not just talk at you, also assure they will develop a rehab plan specific to you! I took my PT to the gym at one point and showed her my exercises and give me feedback, that was extremely helpful, also to assure they knew my expectations. That was prior to getting inot CrossFit. The process should make you accutely aware of good mechanics, it will also raise your awareness of how many people are lifting large amounts of weights with horrible posture (flexion)...Good luck to you!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Kenneth Kyle Fillmore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pressman View Post
So I herniated my l4/l5 disc a few weeks ago during a wod. I had run the marathon a few weeks prior and im guessing that made me weaker than normal. I had an MRI done which confirmed it is a herniated disc. I have terrible pain hip radiating down to my ankle. My doctor says I can't do anything for awhile which is obvious since I can barely function.

Are there any guys/gals out there who have recovered and returned to crossfit from this injury who have any advice on recovering? About the only thing I can do without pain now is swim.

Even though Im in pain all I can think about is getting back to crossfit.
I herniated my l4 l5 a week before thanksgiving, i couldnt move for about a week, then slowly but surely i got better as of january i am pain free .... just make sure you give it time to rest.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
Brian Pressman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Kyle Fillmore View Post
I herniated my l4 l5 a week before thanksgiving, i couldnt move for about a week, then slowly but surely i got better as of january i am pain free .... just make sure you give it time to rest.
Are you back at crossfit yet?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #19
John Densmore

Profile:

Hi, my first post here. Just getting into the crossfit thing to get back into shape.

I herniated the l5-s1 disk in July of 2008. I couldn't get out of bed for a solid two weeks. I was on pain meds for three months. The pain meds did just enough so that I could get out of bed. I tried the wait and see if it gets better, and PT. The pain got to the point where I could get around everyday but working out was out of the question. I had a microdiscectomy three months ago and I'm already back working out and running. I do have to stretch my back everyday, otherwise it does feel tight.

The Dr. might offer a steroid shot to help with inflamation. I declined because it doesn't go to the root of the problem.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #20
Davi Cohen

Profile:

Herniations are no fun!

Since the end of September I've been healing a large, right paracentral herniation at L5/S1 and a protrusion with an annular tear at L4/L5. There was no specific 'incident' that led to it ---> I had been in an immobilization boot to heal a torn tendon in my ankle and about two days after I got out of the boot my back started to hurt. A day after that: sciatic explosion!

I am presently at a fundamentally functional, basically pain free place for day to to day stuff like sitting, sleeping, walking, standing (except right now, as it happens, things are not feeling so fab). I do have a general feeling of acheyness and tightness, but rarely do I experience any radiating pain.

Due to medical industry shenanigans, I only managed to have an MRI less than a month ago and it showed significant structural damage even though by that point my symptoms had reduced dramatically.

I'm working on some back extension stuff for rehab, as well as lateral bending, side planks ---> reading the McGill and McKenzie books has been useful for ideas. My fabulous friend and CF/lifting coach has also prescribed rack pulls at high volume, low weight; but I'm wary of those.

I'm back to dancing (in somewhat limited physical form) and practicing yoga (two very important things in my life) with significant modifications.

And I'm officially taking up swimming this evening.

Back bends, side bends ---> anything with extension feels great. I am avoiding things like the choreography I was handed the other day requiring me to go from completely prone to sitting upright in one fell swoop.

I am at a place where I'm really allowing my somatic perception to guide the way. It's really tempting to go for a run and test things out or see what would happen if I folded in half, but I'm not sure it's a good idea since doing so might actually just reinforce the herniation/protrusion at this stage in the game.

I am looking to my body (and consulting with two fantastic dance PTs) for cues about when to reintroduce my broader range of activities.

Between my ankle and this stuff with my back I've had a LONG period of inactivity (apart from walking and stretching). It's a challenge for someone who's used to biking everywhere, dancing, tumbling, practicing yoga, doing Crossfit, and generally saying "yes" to every fun and physically challenging activity I can!

Anyway, Brian: GET THEE TO AN ACUPUNCTURIST! Almost across the board with everyone I know (my yoga students and myself included as well as total strangers like the salesperson in the store I met the other day) who has had disk-related pain has experienced considerable relief from acupuncture.

Big, important rule to live by: If it hurts, don't do it. If it provides you with relief, *probably* do it (but, for instance, many people will want to bend AWAY from the side with the herniation because it takes pressure of the nerve root, but it can also serve to reinforce the herniation or likewise will want to flex instead of extend [but in my case, at first even just bringing my chin towards my chest would send unbearable searing pain down to my toes]...so you have to be savvy with this stuff. Experiment with both sides and it's worth consulting with someone, even if you do decide to rehab on your own primarily as I am doing).

Swift healing!