CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-16-2003, 06:42 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

Robb,

There are no Capoeira instructors or schools anywhere where I live(that I know of). However, I REALLY wanna start learning this art. I plan on sorta teaching myself like I have with everything else I have done in my life (except Taekwondo)

I was wondering if you could recommend me to any specific books, videos, or even online help. How long have you been doing the art? Im gonna research it more myself too, but I knew you practiced it, and wanted to know if you had any words of wisdom.

Cheers
Roy
Old 12-16-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roy-

Where are you located? Self teaching is pretty tough as the art involves singing in portuguese, playing musical instruments and lots of obscure etiquite beyond the Eddie Gordo movements!

Let s focus on finding you some legimate capoeiristas to train with. if that is a bust we can try to improvise something. www.capoeira.com has a great section on where various schools are located. You may be able to find someone in your area who is not a full instructor but who can help you get started.
let me know
Robb
Old 12-16-2003, 08:52 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Robb-

I checked that out too. Im in Great Falls, MT where theres..........mostly nothing. lol. Im lucky theres an awesome golds gym here that has a running track surrounding the free weights, which helps with the WOD perfectly. Unfortunately, though, theres no Capoeira or gymnastics. Im more interested in the moves more than the portuguese, but I understand that they go hand in an important way, since most martial arts involve more that fighting and moves.

As far as finding someone who knows it, I would have to go door to door of every home until I find one. LMAO. Im very determined to learn some of the movements, but maybe not THAT desperate. Im mainly interested in tricky moves, kicks, flips, etc on the ground. I already know how to kick good, but as far as the dancing and other tricks in capoeira, Im very eager to learn.

Cheers

Roy

By the way, did you get my email? For some reason my email service is down today.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roy-

I will have a friend in the capoeira group video me doing some of the basic movements (ginga, quebra) and some kicks and sequences. I'll include a few floreos (flowery movements) initiated from the ground game. Would you like it on video or DVD?

I did get your mail! I am incredibly busy getting CrossFit NorCal open...I will answer your questions this weekend!
Talk to you soon
Robb
Old 12-17-2003, 09:49 AM   #5
Roy

Profile:

Cool. One important thing, though and I need to tell coach. My email provider (dcemail.com) was hacked and is basically destroyed. So I cant access it. So, send reply to anticrust@snowboard.com thanks again. Yeah, if you wanna put that video on computer and email it (depending on file size, of course) Id love to see it.

Cheers

Roy