CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #281
Alex Bond

Profile:
Re: Squats, etc.

I've been going in later in the day. Still making linear progress on squats, but I stalled at 165# for press, and I stopped trying to make linear progress on bench so I could work on doing the pause correctly and everything, so for now I'm just kind of futzing around with my pressing movements until the meet and I can start progressing again. That really sucks you aren't going to make the meet. I'm actually a little concerned myself that I haven't gotten any kind of confirmation e-mail yet that they have received my entry, but whatever.

Where in Texas are you going? If you're lucky, you might be able to go visit Wichita Falls on a Saturday and get some coaching or something.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #282
Steven Holm

Profile:

The week before?! Nut sack. Stay here, let's start a black iron gym privately, then go public when enough equipment is aquired. I need more powerlifters to keep me motivated.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #283
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
I'm actually a little concerned myself that I haven't gotten any kind of confirmation e-mail yet that they have received my entry, but whatever.

Where in Texas are you going? If you're lucky, you might be able to go visit Wichita Falls on a Saturday and get some coaching or something.
Give those dudes a call, I've done it before and they're all nice. Double checking is worth it! I'm headed to Austin, which is home for me. I'll make it up to WFAC at some point, it's about a 4 hour drive IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Holm View Post
The week before?! Nut sack. Stay here, let's start a black iron gym privately, then go public when enough equipment is aquired. I need more powerlifters to keep me motivated.

I know, I know. I'll make some money and we can open up a gym soon. I'll keep you motivated because in a year or two, we're both gonna compete for the podium at USAPL Raw 220, how's that? Bring it.

I took this week off from training. My body was in immense pain and I felt like crap in general. After finding out that I wouldn't be competing, I went off the deep end and ate everything in sight. I was at 262.x on Monday after the Superbowl...holy crap. Bloated, tired, just crappy overall. My shoulder is the worst it's been in a long time - I get stabbing pains brushing my teeth or washing my hair. So I felt like a week off was the right thing to do. It's been tough, and every single day I've been tempted to go in, but I feel tons better. I hit a keto diet hard, read a bunch of Lyle McDonald's stuff, and am shocked to be down to 248.8 this morning. Not as bloated, feeling better, taking my fish oil and Vit D3, etc. Plus I got a lot of stuff lined up for my move. But trust me, I'm carbing up tonight like woah.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #284
Greg Light

Profile:

You still alive? I'm starting to get the hang of the belt, and it feels GOOD. Hit 300 on my Front Squat today for the first time and I dont think it would have happened sans belt
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #285
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Awesome! Glad to hear that man. 300 FS is no joke! I don't think I've ever gone heavy, but I plan on it soon as I get into a little Oly stuff.

I've been 100% out of the gym for over 2 weeks now, so I don't know if that counts as still alive. My shoulder is feeling a LOT better, though, and I've been able to get everything lined up for my big move back to TX this weekend. My buddy back home just scored a huge beefy squat cage, bar, 245lbs of weights, and a weight tree for $80, and is setting up a nice garage gym, so we'll be hitting it hard when I get back. Another buddy is doing strongman stuff, so I'll probably do that once a week as well. I'll keep this thing updated when I hit a few workouts again...soon.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #286
Alex Bond

Profile:

Figured I should give you a report on the meet.

Squat: 352#, 396#, 418#
Bench: 220#, 242#, 264# (failed)
Deadlift: 385#, 412.5#, 440# (failed)
Total: 1072.5#

The squat was pretty uneventful, except for everyone giving me crap about going too deep. Most of the lifters came up to me and commented on it. One of the judges even jokingly reminded me that if your butt touches the floor the rep doesn't count. For the bench, the first two reps weren't a big problem, so I was feeling good for the 3rd rep. I actually got the 3rd rep up, but I had to squirm around on the bench to do it, which deservedly got red lights. The deadlift was the most exciting lift. When I walked up to the bar for the 1st rep, the head judge pointed out my socks were too short. I had 60 seconds to complete my lift. One of the loaders pulled his shoes off and gave me his socks, I had 60 seconds to take my shoes off, change my socks, get the shoes back on, and make the pull. I made it with just a few seconds left on the clock. The loader wanted his socks back, so I ran up to the front desk of the gym we were holding the meet in, and fortunately they sold me some really tall socks. The 2nd rep went okay. For the third rep, I stood up with it, but my right hand didn't have the grip, and my fingers were uncurling, I had to put the bar down just about a half a second before I got the "down" signal from the judge. In hindsight, I should have done 5 kilos less on my 3rd attempts for both the bench and deadlift, I probably would have gone 9 for 9 and totaled 1100#. Henry did pretty good, he did a 550# deadlift, and his dad set a couple state records I believe. Lonnie had the biggest bench of the day with somewhere around 450#, but he just barely missed a 472# on his third attempt. The strongest guy of the day was actually in the morning session, he was 50 years old, in the 181# weight class, and deadlifted 720#! I want to know what he was eating for breakfast. I actually ended up being the only person in the 242# junior class (I'm only 22), so I got first by default, which makes up for the frustration of barely missing the two third attempts. It was pretty fun, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Just checked the USAPL website, looks like a 242# Open guy has to total 1700# to qualify for Nationals. We've got our work cut out for us!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #287
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Alex, I got this on the road and couldn't respond worth a crap on my phone, sorry for the delay. That is awesome! I've been psyched since I saw it! Really wish I could have been there. Didn't think to remind you about tall socks, doh! Oh well, everyone makes a mistake their first time, glad yours didn't hurt ya. Now you have to avenge squatting more than your DL in your next meet! Also, pretty sure there is actually no qualifying total for Raw Nationals (at least there wasn't in the past) - that number is most likely for equipped lifters I believe. Tell the rest of the guys in the gym I made it to Texas alive.

Since I was on the road, I of course didn't do any lifting, or proper eating, or even sleeping. Doh. I did go surfing and got absolutely mauled by the Pacific. I really need to work on my conditioning for general health purposes. Luckily I also walked a ton while visiting family.

Not sure if I'm going to keep logging here or what. I don't really crossfit, but most of my e-friends that I follow and/or follow me check here...so I dunno. I don't have a schedule until I get settled in, but I did get conned into working out in my buddy's garage last night. On 1.5hours of sleep, 1200++ miles in teh previous 36 hours, and unpacking half my moving van, I goofed around and ended up doing:
FS: worked up to a 305 single. My form sucks. First time FS'ing in like a year or something?
OHP: worked up to 155x3, didn't want to push it since my shoulder was killing me from paddling
PC: worked up to a bunch of singles and doubles with 185. Not really getting a nice pull...I'll blame the (crappy/taped) bar, and my shoes, and the rug I was lifting on, and anything else I can think of.
Shrugs: something heavy for a bunch
Chins: dismal efforts
Old 03-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #288
Steven Holm

Profile:

Damn dude, glad to see you're alive. I thought you might have joined some hippies and started tramping down the coast in a caravan. And taken up aerobics and yoga along the way. I think you should stay out of the gym longer untill I can catch up with you, lol. You should let me know on my log where you plan to start up your new log, that way I can still cyber harrass you. I'm kidding about staying out of the gym. Quit wearing VFFs and get back to squatting man.

And nice job Alex, I wish I would have gone to the meet, but no being able to compete, and just watching again would have been torture, haha.

If I'm not making sense it's due to vics and beer. I had mouth surgery yesterday.

And I should also mention that's a nice front squat bro, I'm scared of them. My rack position sucks balls.

Last edited by Steven Holm : 03-06-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Nice FS
Old 03-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #289
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Still not sure where to keep a log, but here goes.

Got back in a gym today, Hyde Park Gym in Austin. Place is amazing. All the right equipment, and I mean ALL of it. Bumpers, cages, sleds, chalk, you name it. Really think this is the place I'll join, but I'll give it a shot for the week and try another place next week, then make a decision.

Just did some more old school 5/3/1 since it makes sense and I'm lazy, but it still gets me in the gym 4x/wk. Not in a mental state to hit squat PRs every day right now, but if I was smart, I'd do some linear progression. My diet's not even close to decent right now, until I get settled into my new place sometime later this week.

OHP: Worked up to 145x7 (I wrote down 9 but I think it was 7), then 5x10 with a fat bar @ 95ish lbs. It's a homemade bar so I'll have to weigh it. It was light, I went through the sets of 10 very fast. 2 min rest bt sets.
Lat P/D: 130x10, 140x10,10 meh
PC's: 90kg (198lbs), singles on the minute for 15 minutes. Haven't done much PC'ing lately so I was happy enough with these. Nothing amazing but it'll get there.

Been awhile, and it shows, but I was still stoked to get a nice workout in. Weighed in at 250 even on the gym scale, for whatever it's worth. I was surprised, thought I had gone up to 260 or something, but who knows? Looks like the gym record for 242+ squat is only 500... (but the 242 record is something like 540)

Last edited by Jacob Cloud : 03-29-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #290
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Worked out with a buddy in his garage tonight, we decided to kill ourselves.

DL: 405x5 w/ belt, not bad at all. Didn't want to go nuts because...

Tabata DL's @ 315, 31 total reps (+2 that were SO close to locking out...argh), got this on video, will upload soon probably. Almost met Pukie.

Fran's Abortion: We split the work, one guy going as long as he could w/o stopping, the next guy stepping in, til we finished. Didn't bother timing it, it was slow, and ugly, and we were in a lot of pain.

I'd like to get my Tabata DL @ 315 to 50+, which shouldn't be too hard. I have NO work capacity right now. I was dying. But this was a fun night of pain.