CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #31
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: Please help me clean up my diet

If you are seeing weight go up instead of down, your calories are too high.

the easiest way I can see to cut calories right now is to drop the milk and bread. That will save you a few hundred. If you are hungry, add extra veggies for bulk without a lot of calories.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #32
Bob Guere

Profile:

...what the.... "say goodbye to mayo?".......... what's that all about?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #33
Quinn Henoch

Profile:

I've read some journals and have a question about CrossFit nutrition. I'm sure if I read through all the posts, I'll find an answer, but I'm going to ask anyway. According to CrossFit journals, our diet should consist of 40% carbs, 30% proteins, & 30% fats. So we are still supposed to consume more carbs then proteins and fats, but vegetables, nuts, and seeds contain little carbohydrates. One would have to consume very large quatities of these things to get 40% carbs. So where do we get the 40% from? Are veggies, seeds, and nuts sufficient? Why are organic whole grains or oatmeal bad? And when I say organic whole grains, I mean just a bag of grains, basically what you would pick out of the plant; barley, wheat, spelt, etc. Any help would be very much appreciated because I want to learn as much as possible.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #34
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Quinn, I see you posted a like comment in another thread here so you must be worried about it man. Processed grains are the ones you need to worry about, anything processed you need to worry about. Man took a perfectly good food, engineered it to have a shelf life of 100 years and sent it out to the masses, those are the bad foods. If you can find natural whatever that hasn't undergone a series of heating and chemical baths....put it in your mouth.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #35
Caleb Whitfield

Profile:

Harley, I am curious as to why you suggest ditching mayo?

Luke, eating wraps are a good way to ween yourself from bread but in order to lose the last few inches or whatever they need to go along with the milk just as was mentioned above. The last little bit of fat loss will come only by making those last little sacrifices.

By the way, Rocky Balboa drank raw eggs and so will I! or not....
Old 04-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #36
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Whitfield View Post
Harley, I am curious as to why you suggest ditching mayo?

Hahaha

Caleb you caught my anti-mayo IO campaign. I am a mustard person myself, spicy mustard. Winning the hearts and minds one post at a time!

No, if you want the Mayo OP I can't tell you differently. Good dietary fat is the last thing you should ever cut from a healthy diet.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #37
Caleb Whitfield

Profile:

I can do spicy mustard but I love mayo. I found some canola mayo that is ~11g a serv. w/no cho that I consume pretty regularly. Sometimes at the amazement of my buddies at work!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #38
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Grains tend to be a person to person issue. Even hulled barley messes me up for a few hours. Not as bad as flour, but still.

And what wrong with raw eggs? 6 every morning
Old 06-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #39
Luke Hale

Profile:

A further update:

I recently ditched the toast in the mornings in exchange for two eggs and a bowl of oats made with whole milk - that was seeing me through til lunch, though it took a long time to make in the mornings and got very stressful making two dishes at the same time!

This morning for breakfast at 7.30am I had an omlette, made with:

3x Eggs (whole)
Grated Cheddar cheese
3x Mushrooms
1/4 Onion
1/4 Red bell pepper
handful of Spinach
and a side of microwaved frozen broccoli

+ 1 Apple and a small glass of whole milk

...was a delicious breakfast that didn't take long to make (and will be quicker if I prep'ed the night before)

only trouble is I was starving hungry again by about 10.30 this morning!

surely that was a big enough breakfast? should I have added some ham?

...or is it that its the first time I've had a grain/starch-free breakfast?

also as I thought that was a huge breakfast I didn't bring any snacks for this morning and ended up having to raid a handful of almonds from my afternoon snack (almonds and an apple)

should I expect to need a snack in the morning or should a breakfast like that be enough to last me (and I mean stop me feeling at all hungry) until lunch ...which is usually at 1pm?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #40
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Well the breakfast looks like about 500 - 600 calories. That many calories usually holds me over til lunch, but then I eat breakfast late anyway.

It may be that you (as a large male) need more than this for breakfast.

Having a 500-600 calorie breakfast, and then a couple hundred calorie snack is fine. Of course you could also add some more stuff to breakfast to make it last longer. But it depends, on your preference. Do you get busy at work, would you prefer to not have to deal with food until lunch etc.

But if you are in tune with your body, can recognise true hunger signals, and felt hungry 3 hours after that meal (which looked like a great meal btw)... then I say the snack was probably necessary.

I can't remember, are you trying to lose weight, or just maintain? Because if you are trying to lose, then you will just have to suck up a little hunger basically, because unfortunately that is what happens when you try to lose weight.