CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Evan Hobbs

Profile:
Two day tournament nutrition...

Hi, just looking for a bit of nutrition advice: I have a beach volleyball tournament coming up which could potentially be two days long if we do ok. My problem is that I tend to have ups and downs in what I assume is blood sugar that really affect my game. I'll go from making smart decisions and anticipating to botching simple plays when I crash and my partner has learned to always have granola bars on hand if I crash in the middle of a game. One time for instance I was playing terribly and then between games I ran over and ate some cheesecake someone had and almost immediately felt better and was playing great.

Anyway, the last tournament we played in was a day long tournament and I felt great through the morning but by afternoon it was up and down until the evening when we lost our last game which we really should have won.

I'm trying to devise a nutritional strategy that could keep me feeling strong through the two days. I've thought about maybe eating something small every hour on the hour. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it... Cheers.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Two day tournament nutrition...

Make sure you've eaten well for the week before the event, and eat good solid meals during the event itself.

If you are restricting carbs, you might want to eat more of them than usual in the days before the event. I'm not suggesting carbo loading, just make sure you've topped up your glycogen stores.

Snack throughout the event, ideally on a mix of fat, protein and carbs. You want a mix of slow fuel (fat, protein) and fast fuel (carbs) to avoid the spike and crash problem.

Good luck!

Katherine
Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Shawn Michels

Profile:

Evan,

I don't play "competitive" but I do play a lot of beach volleyball (2's naturally) for about 4 - 6 hours a day on the weekends during the summer here in Chicago and I had the exact same problem. Here is what I do.

1. Eat as much as I can in the morning before heading out to the beach. I know people in the CF world are not big on carbs but I typically eat a big bowl of ceral, 6oz or so of deli meat (or some bacon & eggs) and several pieces of fruit (bannana, apple, plum, etc) and some nuts.

2. Eat something between EVERY match, In some cases I eat between every game depending on heat, humidity, difficult of the game. Here I typically eat several a piece of fruit and some nuts, or a powerbar / granola bar depending on what I have on hand. Forcing myself to eat something between every match was hard at first but it really helped my play.

3. Take advantage of long breaks to eat a "full meal". I tend to bring my own turkey sandwiches with lots of vegies. If its a long day I can put 2 to 3 of these things without a problem. Here again I make sure to add fruit and nuts.

On top of all this I have a problem staying hydrated so I drink about .5 - 1 litter of water between matches (again depending on heat, humidity, etc.)

Hope this helps

Shawn
Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Evan Hobbs

Profile:

Thanks for the great suggestions! Shawn that gives me a pretty good plan; I think that's what I'll do. Good luck, from what I've Chicago has a pretty good beach volleyball scene down by the water. Cheers...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Mike Humphries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Hobbs View Post
Hi, just looking for a bit of nutrition advice: I have a beach volleyball tournament coming up which could potentially be two days long if we do ok. My problem is that I tend to have ups and downs in what I assume is blood sugar that really affect my game. I'll go from making smart decisions and anticipating to botching simple plays when I crash and my partner has learned to always have granola bars on hand if I crash in the middle of a game. One time for instance I was playing terribly and then between games I ran over and ate some cheesecake someone had and almost immediately felt better and was playing great.

So did you win Seaside, thanks to the new nutrition strategy?!