CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:
Clean v. Power Clean 3rd pull timing

There is a difference in timing correct?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Clean v. Power Clean 3rd pull timing

I don't think so. Per Coach Burgener, a "squat clean is a failed power clean".
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Timing of the 3rd pull - pulling yourself under the bar? I'd say no. What differs is how low you have to go to get under the bar. And that is dictated by how high you can pull it. The heavier the weight, the harder it is to pull high enough to land in a power position.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

The weight is going to dictate the height you receive the barbell. As soon as you relieve pressure from the platform and continue applying it to the barbell, it's going to drive you under it (this is what I think the 3rd pull really is). I am learning the hard way that if you think of "getting under" the barbell, you really screw yourself up for cleans because you aren't meeting the barbell and it will crash on you. Just rack the the bar and ride it down.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Thank you for your replies thus far. I'm not having any difficulties doing either a power clean or a squat clean. But when attempting to explain the difference to people, i find myself a little confused. I KNOW a power clean is raising the bar as high as possible and is technically a "power" clean if you receive and reverse the direction above parallel.

But here is where i get a little flustered. When i am asked, how do we raise the bar the extra height. Again in practice it just works but when explaining, i cant seem to hammer it down.

So here is the exact point that i'm slightly confused about when explaining. According to greg everetts book, the third pull is done after your feet have left the platform. This forces the shrug to pull you under the bar instead of actually pulling the bar much upwards. Am i correct this far?

Now in a power clean, since you are trying to pull the bar higher, are you shrugging before the feet leave the floor?

If not how is this extra power created?

To the above quote by glassman about a squat clean being a failed power clean...

I completely understand the quote. I have on more than one occasion missed the last rep of a workset of power cleans and ended up squat cleaning.
But this cannot always apply.

For example the workout badger. 30 reps of 95lb squat cleans. Most people could power clean this workout both easier and faster. We do the squat clean because it is more range of motion..

So basically my issue is if you are having people ALWAYS pull the bar as high as possible then when they squat clean they are going to either have the bar crash down on them, or theyre going to catch it high and ride it down. Either way is inefficient.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes View Post
So basically my issue is if you are having people ALWAYS pull the bar as high as possible then when they squat clean they are going to either have the bar crash down on them, or theyre going to catch it high and ride it down. Either way is inefficient.
Really the only time your pulling the bar as high as possible is in a near maximal lift. My understanding and practice is to NOT ALWAYS pull the bar as high as possible. For "light" (significantly sub-maximal) loads, I mute the second pull (still full extension, less power/ less speed resulting in less elevation) in order to not have the bar crash on me. Per Greg Everett in "Olympic Weightlifting", ". . . the pulling mechanics that are ideal for the snatch and clean are identical for the power snatch and power clean."

So if your original question on timing refers to the speed/power of the lift, then I guess that there might be a difference in timing, but not in the sequence of the mechanics. I'm not sure if a sub-maximal squat clean is necessarily slower, though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will weigh in.

Last edited by Scott Allen Hanson : 01-21-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

SO.. even in a power clean the third pull is happening once your feet have left the platform?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
SO.. even in a power clean the third pull is happening once your feet have left the platform?
Yes. The bar gets more air, but you're also catching it a lot higher, so you have to get under it ASASP.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

So a faster more powerful second pull is what increases the bar height in a power clean?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
So a faster more powerful second pull is what increases the bar height in a power clean?
It all depends upon the weight used. Typically squat cleans are used with heavier weight since heavier weight can't be pulled as high. The bar height is usually greater in power cleans because less weight is used or because the lifter knows the receiving position is up high.

So the 2nd pull really isn't very different between power and squat cleans. With heavy squat cleans, the lifter should "intend" to get the bar as high as they would on a power clean.