CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Why jumping pull ups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Acosta View Post
Pretty much just a leg workout for me, and mostly a calf workout. I suppose it depends on how well you jump, but on any regular height bar, my chest is hitting the bar before I ever need to pull.
Sounds like you need a higher bar. What do you mean by "regular height"?

If the bar is high enough that you can't get much knee bend then you have to still pull.

Also, JPs will work better as a sub in some workouts that others. If you combine them with something like box jumps you're going to end up using your lats and arms more just because you have partially exhausted your jumping muscles.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #22
Adam Acosta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Sounds like you need a higher bar. What do you mean by "regular height"?

If the bar is high enough that you can't get much knee bend then you have to still pull.
I mean the bar is a little more than seven feet off the ground, so I can reach it without having to jump, but both of my legs are straight. That leaves me having to jump about two feet to get my chin over the bar, which doesn't require any pulling. The only way I actually need to pull is if I can't reach the bar without jumping. It's all a degree of how much effort you put into the jump. Dwight Howard could get his chin over an NBA rim without needing to use his arms (obviously not for high reps, though).
Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #23
Kyle Borowsky

Profile:

The filthy 50s target the leg muscles more so than other wods. If you did just regular pull-ups this would not work your legs *** much. btw just because your jumping does not mean you should make the pull-ups quick. you should be lowering yourself slowly after the jump
Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #24
Mike McGee

Profile:

Jumping pull-ups in the filthy fifty are just another way to smoke you. If done correctly your arms and lats should be burning.

Here's a link for jumping pull-ups that looked pretty decent:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2351695_do...-exercise.html

Mike
Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #25
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Borowsky View Post
btw just because your jumping does not mean you should make the pull-ups quick. you should be lowering yourself slowly after the jump
This is completely incorrect and could give somebody rhabdo. You do NOT lower yourself slowly. There is no eccentric component to the movement.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #26
Kyle Borowsky

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
This is completely incorrect and could give somebody rhabdo. You do NOT lower yourself slowly. There is no eccentric component to the movement.
This sounds rather far faetched. Do you have any documentation supporting such a claim? In theory any exercise could give someone rhabdo if they are poorly hydrated and the physical activity is too much for them (whatever the definition of too much is for that individual person). I doubt doing jumping pull-ups would cause this unless you have preexisting condition

Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
This sounds rather far faetched. Do you have any documentation supporting such a claim? In theory any exercise could give someone rhabdo if they are poorly hydrated and the physical activity is too much for them (whatever the definition of too much is for that individual person). I doubt doing jumping pull-ups would cause this unless you have preexisting condition

Google Jumping Pull Ups Rhabdo. There are plenty of known cases and jumping pull ups are a known risk. Also read this thread. http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38220
Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #28
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:

Clearly, you need to read more before making such a statement! Nobody else is laughing about Rhabdo but you.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #29
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:

Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #30
Derek Franks

Profile:

Good demo of the jumping pull up:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...JPUworkout.wmv