CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #21
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
IMHO - it's not a waste to find out what your absolute maximum lifting capacity is in those lifts ... not a waste of time at all.
I'd rather know my absolute lifting capacity for 4 reps or 5 reps or some times I do triples. Don't really need to know the 1 rep max except for competition purposes. I don't compete with anyone but what I wrote in my own workout log for the week before.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
Duke McCall

Profile:

Brian,

As you have already noted, life is a balancing act and you have to find the balance that works for you. I think what most folks are trying to suggest is that you can set your sights a bit higher CFT-wise without upsetting your life balance. I hope they are right, at least for my own sake.

Good luck and be strong,

Duke
Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
Dane Thomas

Profile:

I'm 44 and started training O-lifting 3 months ago after a year of body weight exercising and 9 years of no weight training at all. This is the first time I have had access to bumper plates and a lifting platform and I am enjoying it so far. I've always been inflexible, which is making progress with proper technique a challenge (primarily shoulders and ankles at this point), but I'm up for it and have promised myself not to really start chasing weight with the O-lifts until my technique moves beyond novice level.

When it comes to CFT I've been sneaking in some squats, presses and deadlifts (my first ever) after technique practice. I've seen the chart on the FAQ page, but my question has to do with the typical distribution of the CFT between the different lifts and how one should expect it to change as one advances from Novice to Intermediate and (hopefully) so forth. I am 5'10" and weigh about 150 lbs. and my CFT is right at 600 now, split at 200 (or 33.3%) for the squat (matches my PR from when I was lifting 9 years ago), 100 (16.7%) for the press and 300 (50%) for the deadlift. Assuming that any progress that I make on this is the result of WOD's, should I expect these percentages to change as I progress, and if so, in what manner?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Have you already seen this chart?

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

Looks like you're right around novice for press/squat, and a little ahead of intermediate on the DL.

I'd say your advancement is going to mostly rely on what you work. I squat a lot, and my squat is above advanced. I spent lots of time unable to press/bench after surgery, and as a result, am between intermediate and advanced on those, and am fighting to make up some ground.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #25
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Have you already seen this chart?

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf
Jacob, That's a cool chart I hadn't seen that before.

Dane, Your allocations among the three lifts seems fine. If you really want to get your CFT up, focus on Squat's and Deadlifts. You can move those PR's by 50lbs easily. Pressing is F'in hard to move a PR even 15lbs. At least for me it is. Press has always been one of my weaknesses though.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #26
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I'd rather know my absolute lifting capacity for 4 reps or 5 reps or some times I do triples. Don't really need to know the 1 rep max except for competition purposes. I don't compete with anyone but what I wrote in my own workout log for the week before.
You'll actually progress faster if you do 1 rep lifts incorporated into a properly structured program. A system that works very well with my clients uses employs rep counts of 5, 3 and 1. The first week I have the client do a move, we'll use deadlifts as an example, I have them do 5 sets of 5. The next time we do deadlifts, I have them do 5 sets of 3, working up to a weight that's 10% higher than the previous effort. Next time we do 5 sets of 1, again increasing the weight by 10%. Now, I take that 1 rep max and start working back in the other direction, trying to hit that weight for three reps and then for five. After that, we start back in the other direction, decreasing the reps while ratcheting up the weight. My success rate with this system is almost 100%, with clients rarely, if ever, failing to get the goaled weight and reps.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #27
Dane Thomas

Profile:

Jacob, Brian,

Thanks for the chart, the replies and the encouragement. I've got coaching on the O-lifts but am doing the CF stuff solo so far, so it is nice to have a frame of reference. Based on this I can leave the DL at 2x BW and concentrate on squats, O-lifts (and their components) and my other activities for a while. I like the way that CF prepares me for anything that happens to come along, but my primary measurable activity is cycling, so if I can work toward the higher levels without going up in body weight I'll be happy.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #28
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
You'll actually progress faster if you do 1 rep lifts incorporated into a properly structured program. A system that works very well with my clients uses employs rep counts of 5, 3 and 1. The first week I have the client do a move, we'll use deadlifts as an example, I have them do 5 sets of 5. The next time we do deadlifts, I have them do 5 sets of 3, working up to a weight that's 10% higher than the previous effort. Next time we do 5 sets of 1, again increasing the weight by 10%. Now, I take that 1 rep max and start working back in the other direction, trying to hit that weight for three reps and then for five. After that, we start back in the other direction, decreasing the reps while ratcheting up the weight. My success rate with this system is almost 100%, with clients rarely, if ever, failing to get the goaled weight and reps.

Man. It all sounds vaguely do-able up to the part about taking a 1RM then doing it for 3 reps the next session. I'm very interested in trying this, and I have no doubt that if you say it works (i've seen some of your WOD vids, and you're a machine!), it works but still...that seems like a very fast progression to a newb like me.

I deadlift once or twice a week at present, mostly 3-3-3-3-3 or 5-5-5-5-5 with the occasional 1RM day. I'm not interested in doing a full-on strength program, but I would like to get a bit more organized about my lifting schedule with a 3-1 Xfit schedule. Is this program going to be do-able for folks who lift as little as I am? It's taken me months of deadlifting to turn my old 1RM into a genuine 5 rep set (i.e. comfortable, with no pauses). I'll give details on my background if you like, but you seem to be saying that this progression will work with pretty much everybody.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #29
Richard Doughty

Profile:

just wanted to add something
doing the cft isnt about finding out your single max its about creating neural strength efficiency
when you train with singles you "awaken" more motor units
training with sets of 5 isnt going to have such a dramatic effect on this
Old 11-28-2008, 12:53 AM   #30
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Doughty View Post
just wanted to add something
doing the cft isnt about finding out your single max its about creating neural strength efficiency
when you train with singles you "awaken" more motor units
training with sets of 5 isnt going to have such a dramatic effect on this
My understanding on this is that it has rapidly diminishing returns once you're out of the novice category, so the more experienced lifters don't do singles anywhere near as often as they do 3s or 5s. Although the CFT isn't all that frequent anyway I suppose.