CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Doug Holland

Profile:
Baby-Chuckers And Dumbbell Rress Rainbow

Ok, I have been receiving PM"s on some exercises I made up years ago and posted in my log recently. They are a little quirky and something for those who like lifting a little different.

Guys at my gym who do them can barley wash their hair after doing them properly and call them keepers. Maybe you will like them too.

Dumbbell Baby-Chuckers

What are baby-chuckers? That’s the nickname I gave them 20 years ago. While standing - feet shoulder width, hold one dumbbell with two hands with a baseball bat grip.

Keep legs bent while vertically lifting dumbbell up overhead and back down to groin. Your back should remain vertical and straight and you should be staring dead even into a mirror. Arms should be slightly bent and a nice smooth motion (like a half moon) should be seen (like a parentheses on your computer keys).

Thrust hard going up while slowly stopping the weight directly above your head. Then slowly arc the weight down in the same half moon it came up in. It will kill your knuckles at first. This exercise will blow out your delts!

Dumbbell press rainbows

What is a dumbbell press rainbow? You stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Arnold-press the dumbbells straight up. Then when you get to full extension move your right foot forward a full 3-foot-legth step and fly the weights down slowly at the same time (like a negative) in a rainbow formation (kinda like the Incredible Hulk used to pose before he started throwing bodies).

The step should be performed just before the drop of weights but should be done almost simultaneously. The step forward will start the motion of the controlled dropping of dumbbells. Once arms are at the side, step back and repeat. Remember, the rainbow motion is like two half-moons coming together at the bottom range of the exercise.

Have fun, and let me know if you like em'

Doug

Last edited by Doug Holland : 07-16-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Keenan Lightner

Profile:
Re: Baby-Chuckers And Dumbbell Rress Rainbow

I probably won't try them...because I'm still working on the "Bradstock"
pullover and "Bradstock" Jump Squat. (Okay, cheap shot on that guy but it was the first thing that came to mind)

But the Baby Chuckers sound exactly kettlebell or dumbell swings without as much momentum
Old 07-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan Lightner View Post
I probably won't try them...because I'm still working on the "Bradstock"
pullover and "Bradstock" Jump Squat. (Okay, cheap shot on that guy but it was the first thing that came to mind)

But the Baby Chuckers sound exactly kettlebell or dumbell swings without as much momentum
Yep, but pure shoulder isolation and your core will beg for mercy (abs).

Doug
Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
David Bott

Profile:

Baby chuckers sound like a front shoulder raise, like the good old lat raises but to the front. I used to dabble with them using a horizontally held bar... and yes they are a killer. A bit of an isolation exercise though perhaps as it focuses on anterior deltoids.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Baby chuckers sound like a front shoulder raise, like the good old lat raises but to the front. I used to dabble with them using a horizontally held bar... and yes they are a killer. A bit of an isolation exercise though perhaps as it focuses on anterior deltoids.
I agree, but when you bend the legs 1/4 and use heavy weight (I use a 100 pound dumbbell) your abs kill you.

Doug
Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
David Bott

Profile:

Ok I get you, yeah will have to give them a go
Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Ok I get you, yeah will have to give them a go
Try the press rainbows to. Let me know what you think. I just had a few more guys doing them in the gym and they said they have never had the shoulders so waisted.

Doug
Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
David Bott

Profile:

I used to do something vaguely similar to the rainbows.
Basically with mine, get two DBs, stand shoulder width apart, straight arms the whole time.
Bring the DBs up in front like the baby-chuckers, up to shoulder height.
Take them out to the side, lower them back down to your sides.
Then repeat in reverse, that = 1 rep

Alternatively try raising them until they are directly over your head, then lower down to the sides, raise back up overhead and down the front again. When doing this one I tend to have my palms facing forwards when doing the side raise/lower part and palms facing one another during the front raise/lower part.

I hope this all makes sense
Old 07-25-2008, 06:13 AM   #9
Doug Holland

Profile:

Yeah, I think I got what your saying. You know...maybe I will make a video next week so that people can see it. Sometimes it is hard for people to visualize what you and I are saying...lol

Doug
Old 07-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Yeah, a video would be helpful to really get what you mean.

These may be really good exercises (I haven't tried them so do not have an informed opinion on these particular moves) but I worry that they may fit into a mindset that crossfit’s principles have helped me escape: I’ll call it the “blast your delts” mentality (sorry, couldn’t resist with your mention of the delts. You could call it “blast your pecs” just as easily). This is the idea that any exercise that works SOME muscle really hard is worthwhile.

A good example of this mindset is a friend I have who I sometimes work out with who frequently comes up with new exercises that he wants me to try. The problem is that if that exercise works SOMETHING really hard he calls it a "great exercise." It doesn't matter if it works that muscle in a useful way, just that it "really works your ____ (insert pecs/lats/lower abs, etc depending on what he’s into that day).” Of course he keeps leap frogging from one exercise to another day to day and never records anything but improving performance seems unimportant: after all he blasted his pecs! What other proof do you need?

I think most people here would agree that this mindset often leads to machines, a lack of fitness, and lack of progress.

Do the exercises Doug mentioned promote this mindset? I don’t know. But I think that to evaluate whether a move is a good use of gym time we should ask the following questions about them:
1) Does this movement mimic one your body wants to do anyway? Will it improve your performance in physical activities outside the gym? Is it functional?

2) Could see yourself doing this exercise repeatedly over the weeks to try and improve your performance? Would you be really psyched and brag about your performance if you managed a new personal record? Is the movement like a muscle up where it’s a productive goal in itself?

3) Does this movement help you move towards a specific goal in a specific way such as pullup negatives or static holds helping someone build up to pullups? Does it help prevent/treat an adverse physical condition such as wrist isolation exercises helping to prevent elbow tendonitis?

If the answer to a couple of these questions is “Yes” for any particular exercise then I say, sure lets get them going and see what happens.