CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 AM   #21
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Let's revamp the CF Warmup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
The only question I ever had about the CF warmup was the sampson stretch. I hear and read repeatedly that static stretches are bad for performance. So what is the logic in having them in the warmup?
The sampson stretch is also commonly referred to as the warrior lunge stretch in other fitness circles and is a good mobility exercise to loosen up the hip flexors and activate the glutes. The key is to concentrate on activating (waking up) the hip flexors and glutes, and not the shoulders with the stretch of the arms.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #22
Ryan Andrew Muller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Reynolds View Post
I just treat that time like a boxer in prefight mode, I jump around, get light on my toes, get the blood flowing, and just get in my game face mode. If I feel constrained to a structured warm-up, it detracts from my psycholgical readiness to the WOD, when I feel ready to go head to head with Fran- I'm ready. I'm not going to wait until my last stretch of the CFWU to tell me when I'm ready.
This description of a warmup is probably the most helpful that I've seen. The idea that you are preparing for something intense and focused like a boxing match is a great mental image for me. I think before I would just treat the WU like something to hurry up and get through. It's really a way to both mentally and physically prepare for the WOD.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #23
Timothy Bartee

Profile:

I enjoy the warmup and very gradually add intensity to it. I hhope that someday I'll be able to do it RX'd.

My scalled version:

3 rounds

15 pushups
15 OHS with 45# bar
5 pullups
15 goodmornings 45# bar
15 situps
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #24
Chris Walls

Profile:

That's the whole thing right there, working up to doing it "as Rx'd". The warmup should get you warm, it shouldn't leave you gassed. Follow the same scheme and gradually up the reps/rounds. The goal here is to increase the work required to get you warm (hence increasing work capacity). Right now it might be your workout to do the warmup as Rx'd, so ease up on it and trim back reps/rounds. So use it as practice for doing more pushups, pullups, OHS, etc, etc... Or, don't do it. Do your own thing. whip rocks at the neighbour's cat until you're sweaty, it's really your call. Personally I like the extra practice.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #25
Kevin Perry

Profile:

what everyone else said..

jus trying to get the post count up haha
Old 05-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #26
Charles Bennington

Profile:

I've just recently started doing the CF warm up as RXed. I think that previously I had underestimated it's usefulness. There are a million and one ways to "warm up" just do whatever the hell works for you.

It seems like more and more often now people are beginning to miss the forest for the trees across the whole of Crossfit.

If you want to do a different warm up, go for it.
If you don't think the WOD is enough, do something else.
If you think the 3rd WOD in a row is "overtraining your shoulders," don't do it.
Whatever.

For me the beauty of Crossfit is how much of an open source model it is. Take what you want and what is useful to you, feel free to add anything in the world that you want.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #27
Michael Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Knutsen View Post
Before you propose to change the CrossFit warm-up, make sure you understand what it's meant to accomplish. As taught at the cert seminars, a proper warm-up should accomplish the following:

1) Increase body temperature and heart rate
2) Provide some stretching
3) Stimulate the entire body and major biomechanical functions (read below)
4) Provide practice for basic movements
5) Prepare you for rigorous athletic training

When I first started CrossFit I thought that the warm-up was just a collection of exercises that (like anything) would get me warmed up if I performed enough reps. I later realized that the movements aren't simply pulled from a hat. They're based on the major biomechanical movments (hip flexor extension & flexion, trunk extension & flexion, upper body push & pull). There are lots of other ways to accomplish the above stated goals but the mainstream concepts for a warm-up are usually inadequate.

As I preach to the HS track athletes I coach, the shorter the event, the more thorough the warm-up needs to be. I know it's common for people to complain about the CF warm-up being too hard or too long, but if it weren't for the tough warm-ups we couldn't make shirts that say, "Our warm-up is tougher than your workout." Seriously though, after 3-2-1 go, you're hitting the workout at full speed. In my opinion, you should be breaking a sweat after the warm-up. If you need to catch your breath (and even if you don't) giving yourself a short period of time between the warm-up and workout to work on a particular skill is always a good idea. Once you feel warmed up and fresh, let the work begin.
This was very eye opening to me. Coming from a sports and running background, I guess my idea of a warmup was much different than Crossfit's. With "Murph" staring me in the face I thought to myself, "There's no way I can do this warmup and then do a workout like Murph." But what I'm seeing on this thread is that many people do diff. warmups that work for them. It appears that the official warmup does have its place for some, even if it's not in universal use. Thanks Jon.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #28
Jason Staples

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
The only question I ever had about the CF warmup was the samson stretch. I hear and read repeatedly that static stretches are bad for performance. So what is the logic in having them in the warmup?
The Samson stretch doesn't have to be completely static, for one (I do a dynamic version of it that goes along with high-kick walking lunges as a part of my warmup). Secondly, the reason that pre-workout static stretches are "bad for performance" is because they reduce the stretch-reflex. That's not that big a deal, and as long as your muscles are warm when you start to stretch, you're reducing that issue as well. I prefer dynamic pre-workout stretches, though I do incorporate a little bit of static stretching if I'm particularly sore or feel I need to (sometimes I just feel particularly tight or like I'm going to pull something and I usually break out my "stick" -- track guys will know what I'm talking about -- massage the muscle, and stretch a bit).
Old 05-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #29
Andy Shirley

Profile:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=2985
Sampson Stretch analysis. wfs.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #30
Charles Bennington

Profile:

I do the Samson Stretch as walking lunges.