CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #21
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Ache

Steven: this might be out of context here, but I'm curious and just wanted to ask you this, in a shoulder-related thread: what exercises are good for correcting the "shoulders-forward" condition? Or is it just constantly pulling them back like you suggest with the neck?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
George Mounce

Profile:

Consciously always correct your shoulder form. Soon it will be habit!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Steven: this might be out of context here, but I'm curious and just wanted to ask you this, in a shoulder-related thread: what exercises are good for correcting the "shoulders-forward" condition? Or is it just constantly pulling them back like you suggest with the neck?
Generally, yes with the retraction.

Also, focus on external rotation of the humerus so that if you were holding a pencil in your hand at relaxation they would point forward. Basically, the biceps should be pointed directly forward and not in like they usually do with people with rounded shoulders.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #24
Brent Sallee

Profile:

I've actually realized that I have a similar pseudo-injury. I don't believe it's from bad form, but from going for low capacity (was powerlifting for a bit for 3x4-6 reps) to high capacity (towel pullup subs for rope climbs). I don't quite think my body was quite ready for that, so what I'll be doing is rehabbing the shoulder and doing some WODs that will let me stay in shape.

So just a side note - ease your way into CF if you don't wanna injure yourself. I have the strength and the heart for it (both metaphorically and physically), but my body just isn't used to the capacity load.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #25
Tony Baca

Profile:

Hey Michael,

thanks for posting this thread. I have experienced the exact same pain you are describing and will try the exercises recommended below. A friend of mine recommended the same type of rehab exercises. I am sure my form is not perfect, but fortune favors the bold.

Thanks Dave for posting this article.

[quote=Dave Hancock;273595]I used to have the exact same pain you describe. I haven't had the pain in a few years now. My problem was fixed by doing rotator cuff rehab exercises, similar to the ones shown here : http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...uries/265.html
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #26
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Michael,

I have the exact same problem even to the degree that my right shoulder is slightly worse than my left and I'm only 23! My problem started when I went too heavy with front lateral raises on a cable pulley machine in high school and felt a popping sensation in first my right then left shoulder.

I went through all the same steps back then that you described and basically the Orthopedic Surgeon told me the same thing. It sounds like you have shoulder impingement like me.

Go with Steven advice, good stuff. I have found that it helps to incorporate light movements that stabilize and strengthen the shoulder. I also find that some times my shoulder(s) will hurt at the beginning of a workout but by the end I hardly notice anything if at all. Not sure why? Also, take the tri plex Gluc./Chond./MSM it helps me with the symptoms but won't cure the problem.

As far as overhead presses go, I find that they actually help to strengthen my shoulders and reduce pain over the long run. Though sometimes they do aggravate my shoulders, but usually if I make sure my shoulders are good and warm then I am pain free.

For whatever reason the only movements that I simply can't do without a great deal of pain/discomfort and soreness/weakness for days to come are: Seated incline DB Curls and Barbell Bench press (I can DB Bench just fine because I can angle the DB's so as not to aggravate my shoulder). With the curls it’s something about where the bicep tendon connects to the shoulder area and the associated strain.

If anyone has something to contribute, keep the advice coming!

Last edited by Steve Ericson : 03-26-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #27
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Attention Steven Low:

The routine that you recommended, should it be completed right before a CF or Oly work out (if so before doing my overall body warm up or after) - immediately following my CF/Oly work out - or at a completely separate time i.e. hours apart?

Also, do you think that the cycles could be worked into a CF schedule?
Cycle 1 / Cycle 2 / Cycle 3/ Rest / Cycle 4 / Cycle 5/ Cycle 1 / Rest and so on.

p.s. If you don't mind me asking, how have you accumulated all of the great information that is consistently posted? Do you do something in the fitness/medical field for a living?

Thanks

Last edited by Steve Ericson : 03-26-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #28
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Do the shoulder work at the end of your workouts. There's no use in doing it first and which then weakens your shoulder for the workout making you more susceptible to injury.

2. Sure if you want.

3. Reading the internet. A lot. I've read the good and the bad and you really have to learn to pick out what is what.

I really just got started because I wanted to research how to work strength (for iron cross among other things) and then stuff cropped up along the way like CF, injuries, etc. which I educated myself on so I could deal with them myself. I've had shoulder problems in the past, but they are behind me now.

Since the shoulder is such a complex joint you there's tons of stuff you have to be wary of when making or doing a routine to promote good shoulder health.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #29
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Thanks Steven you always seem to give great logical advice,

I am going to give the shoulder routine that you recommended a try and evaluate my progress. It seems much more complete than the one I had previously done (I made up the old one myself picking different movements from a variety of sources). I am also going to start taking Chondrotin/Glucosome/ and MSM again as I found that seemed to help in the past.

Is there anything else you would recommend incorporating into my shoulder rehab routine? What is the most important of the "tons" of considerations that you alluded to? I am especially interested in what you have to say since you have been there before and overcame your own shoulder issues.

Sorry, this is the last time I'll bug you on this.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #30
Steven Low

Profile:

Work your flexibility for the shoulder. IR and ER stretches, doorway stretch the chest, hang on a bar or other alternative for the lats, etc.

Often times it's more mobility you need besides the stabilization of strength factor. Really, less mobility in some directions = shorter muscles which means longer in some other cases (for example hunched shoulders) which can lead to injury/pain/more susceptible to whatever. In addition with strength work, flexibility is always a good compliment.