CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
Heart skipping a beat?

Although "skipping a beat" is probably not the right medical term, has anyone experienced this? I have been feeling it when I'm most tired, right in the morning when I don't want to be awake, for instance.

Anyone know what this is all about? And if it's something onset by my change in diet/exercise? Or just coincidence?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Brad Thompson

Profile:
Re: Heart skipping a beat?

Arrhythmia?

My dad had this for years. He finally went to UAB Kirklin Clinic and had a procedure which was essentially a wire threaded down an artery (or vein) from his neck to his heart. The wire transmitted a radio frequency which deadened a cluster of exterior nerves which had been collecting a charge over time and then dispersing the charge and causing the "skipping - jumping -whatever." He was immediately cured.

Here's the Doctor (wfs)
Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks Brad. I've been reading up on webmd, and it doens't seem like my change in diet/exercise is the culprit, and that it's pretty common. I think I'll still mention it next time I visit the Dr. for some blood work.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Funny you ask-I've been having it too. I'm trying to figure out if it's my electrolytes. I had this a few years ago and went to my doctor who did an EKG (mind you I wasn't having skipped beats during the ekg duh), then they did an echocardiogram which showed nothing.
With me, it's not caffeine induced.
I worked for years as a medic, so I have some cardiology knowledge.
Safest to get it checked tho... maybe they could put you on a monitor at home for 24 hours and catch it on there to see what it is exactly.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

My caffeine is regular, but only in the morning hours. Usually 2-3 cups of coffee daily. I hardly ever have any caffeine after lunch time at all. I really notice it when I'm most fatigued, which I found to be an odd coincidence.

I think I'll bump up my bloodwork appt. and get this checked out so I know everything is A-O-K.

Thanks for the replies... and keep 'em coming if you've got something to add.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Doc sent me home with a event recorder just last week. EKG and ultrasound both checked out OK, but doc wants me to record when I have "episodes" of concern. My RHR was as low as 38 at times during the ultrasound and tech commented, "you must do a lot of cardio" lol. And I don't drink much caffeine. The "skipping beats" seem to happen when I'm at rest - watching a movie or laying in bed. Doc says that is better than feeling it during physical excursion and happens a lot in conditioned athletes. Something about your heart starts to pump but the heart chamber hasn't filled up enough with blood to pump anything. Other than a few skipped beats, I feel just fine.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:  

That's usually when mine happen also-sitting on couch, driving, sitting at my desk.
Sometimes it makes me cough, which is new...
Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Bob Guere

Profile:

Camille, I know that cough feeling. Sort of like I'm at the end of a full exhale and my lungs are tired/burnt from running the cold or something.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
Bob Guere

Profile:

For those interested. I work at a NASA center and have the luxury of a medical unit onsite, so I just paid them a visit concerning this. (if you want attention by the lovely staff of your local health unit, mention you have an irregular heartbeat) I became patient #1 real fast.

Anyway, they hooked me up to EKG and ECG, took blood O2, blood sugar, BP, temp, etc. Of course lying there all comfy I did not have any of the symptoms I was there for, so the only thing they captured was a couple Sinus Arrhythmias. Which from what I understand are not too concerning. However, they did tell me to follow up with my doctor at the next appt. available and to NOT perform strenuous activity until I have done so and are fine.

Is crossfit strenuous? I told them my workouts are "intense", they recommended holding off.

So, moral of the story is, if you are experiencing the same thing as me, it would be best to see a doctor to make sure your ticker isn't going haywire.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Oh crud... I wonder if it's worth it for me to go again for them to find nothing.
I've been thinking that mine is preceded by a day or two by a twitch in my eye. I was going to track that and see if the two might be occurring after each other. My roommate is a nurse working with cardiac patients and I'm an ex medic. So... I'm invincible lol. But funny thing is, she gets it too-but she's not doing the exercise and diet that I am.
I'll see if she can pick a cardiologist's brain tomorrow for me!