CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:
Thumbs up My take on CF (what I'm thankful for)

I hope this thread can be a place where we can each mention what we're thankful for, so that Coach and our hard working moderator Lynne and everyone else back at HQ know what's working. And if you're very thankful maybe you will suggest ways that you will individually contribute to the CF community in the future. When CrossFit'rs rally great things happen!

Personally I'm thankful for a free, publicly available program that produces incredible results. The free demo videos are really what drew me in and distinguished the CF site from others. I found the FAQ and the videos together very helpful and they allowed me to start on my own. I'm also thankful that of everyone I've met from HQ in person that no one seems arrogant and that they are so helpful. They've got a great thing going, they know it, the athletes there outperform most of us, and I'm thankful to know people like that. Even better is that they allow me to affiliate with them and use the CrossFit name. I'm very proud to be a member of this community.

I have some background in digital media and I plan to contribute by developing many form videos in the coming months and making them public and free on our site. I am of course trying to recruit as many people as possible into CF too. Momentum feels like it's building here in Cleveland, more acquaintances keep starting CF, and we've even got Siren from the Gladiators coming now.

The journal is great too and worth every penny. Thank you HQ for what you do. I would not be seeing the rates of return on my fitness that I'm seeing today without the quality information you provide.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: My take on CF (what I'm thankful for)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaffer View Post
I hope this thread can be a place where we can each mention what we're thankful for, so that Coach and our hard working moderator Lynne and everyone else back at HQ know what's working. And if you're very thankful maybe you will suggest ways that you will individually contribute to the CF community in the future. When CrossFit'rs rally great things happen!

Personally I'm thankful for a free, publicly available program that produces incredible results. The free demo videos are really what drew me in and distinguished the CF site from others. I found the FAQ and the videos together very helpful and they allowed me to start on my own. I'm also thankful that of everyone I've met from HQ in person that no one seems arrogant and that they are so helpful. They've got a great thing going, they know it, the athletes there outperform most of us, and I'm thankful to know people like that. Even better is that they allow me to affiliate with them and use the CrossFit name. I'm very proud to be a member of this community.

I have some background in digital media and I plan to contribute by developing many form videos in the coming months and making them public and free on our site. I am of course trying to recruit as many people as possible into CF too. Momentum feels like it's building here in Cleveland, more acquaintances keep starting CF, and we've even got Siren from the Gladiators coming now.

The journal is great too and worth every penny. Thank you HQ for what you do. I would not be seeing the rates of return on my fitness that I'm seeing today without the quality information you provide.
Amen to that! I'm happy to see this thread. Gratitude and Joy are great motivators for excellence! Thankyou Lynne, and Coach Glassman, and All you coaches and fellow community members.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Robert Olajos

Profile:

I'm thankful that I can live in my middle-of-nowhere town, with my little backyard gym, while having someone guide me toward "elite fitness." I don't have to live in the big city and spend big bucks to get big results.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Tom Woodward

Profile:

I want to thank Coach Glassman not only for his unique and eloquent take on fitness, but also for acting as a gateway to some of the best coaches and resources in the fitness world.

I can honestly say that without CrossFit, I may never have discovered the genius of Coaches Rip, Burgener, Rutherford, Christopher Sommer, Buddy Lee, and others.

Were it not for CF, I'd still be reading Men's Health instead of: The CrossFit Journal, the Performance Menu, DragonDoor, PowerAthletesMag, DrillsandSkills, and more.

Coach, I cannot put a price on all of the information you've given me in the past 8 months, yet you've provided it for me free of charge. I'm forever indebted, thank you.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Heidi Walling

Profile:

I'm grateful that I can come to this site each day and get seriously motivated to make great choices about my fitness/health. After watching some videos, the cake sitting by the office coffee pot looks disgusting. After watching videos and reading posts for about 10 minutes, I'm thinking to myself, "I WANT and NEED to go workout, WOOT!" If I'm at all discouraged, I just come here and read some posts or look at some vids, and I feel stoked, again, for a lifetime of fitness and health. Yeah!

Thanks to everyone who makes this site possable.

Last edited by Heidi Walling : 02-06-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
William McDaniel

Profile:

Wow! There are so many places to go with this topic:

First, I am thankful for Coach Glassman. His creation has given me back my body. At 42 years old and four months into crossfit I am doing things I never thought possible at half my age. I grabbed a big chunk of the rim last night and will soon be dunking the ball.

Second, I am thankful for the crossfit online community. What an amazing, supportive group. I have received so much good advice at no cost whatsoever. I rarely post, but read everyday and my questions are usually answered before I ask them. I especially enjoy anything written by Steven Low, Susie Rosenberg, and Barry Cooper.

Third, I am thankful for Mike and the gang at San Jose’ Crossfit. They were welcoming and supportive on my first visit to an affiliate. Then they proceeded to grind me into dust. I hear “Get to work, Fresno!” in my sleep now.

Fourth, I am thankful for my wife and two girls. They have listened to me carp on about crossfit ad nauseum and have not complained one bit. They have even joined me on my journey.

Finally, I am thankful for my own determination (I love me some me!), the determination to do the wods in a packed gym despite the stares, comments, and interruptions. I may be scaling and I may be slow and weak compared to the crossfit beasts, but I’ve never quit a wod, ever.

Here’s to drinking the Kool Aid. It tastes just as good coming up as it does going down.

William
Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I'm grateful for a program that works. There's many people who have wasted their time with ineffective routines, but CF encourages nothing but the best of health in everyone.

I'm also thankful for these boards. I can talk to even experts in all the fields of fitness here without any charge, right here at home.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodward View Post
I want to thank Coach Glassman not only for his unique and eloquent take on fitness, but also for acting as a gateway to some of the best coaches and resources in the fitness world.
Yes. He doesn't claim to know everything and so recruits some of the best. He didn't have to go this way, could have tried to remain the god instead, but he didn't. This is admirable and I'm much better off for it too.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
James Reynolds

Profile:

My thanks have to first go to Matt (the guy in the bar mu vid on the home page) for challenging my knowledge of fitness and showing me CrossFit.

I can't say I've contributed too much, besides subscribing to the CF Journal and buying a t-shirt that I wont allow myself to wear until I can do my 1st MU

I am quite motivated by Skip Chase (a CF affiliate) working with overweight kids for free. My long term goal is to blatantly copy him after I get CF L1 and CF Kids certs done. To get there, though, I have some hurdles to overcome of my own - like to figure out a way to pay for the certs and convince a local affiliate to participate in this endeavor with me!

Thanks,
Old 02-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Wonderful thread!

I'm grateful to Coach Glassman for articulating his thoughtful approach to fitness and making it available to all. Crossfit exercises my mind as much as my body---I've learned so much.

I'm grateful for this online community. I feel as if Crossfit has woven us, with our different stripes, into one colorful fabric draping across continents. I'm grateful for the things everybody here has taught me.

I'm grateful for my r/l Crossfit community, which feels like an extended family. There's nothing like hearing your workout buddies cheering you on as push to get one more round of Cindy in....(JJ: "I can't breathe! I can't breathe!)

Oh, there's a whole lot to be grateful for. Thanks to all.

Susie