CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-02-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
A CF member made a comment about having practical, functional muscle from CF as opposed to muscle that gets in the way. He was reffering to bodybuilding. Well read this humerous and some what gross article written by Dave Tate. 27 Reasons To Be Big

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=3435A65A54EAAB0647D64A629BAE6482.ba13? id=492761

Ben
Old 09-02-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Ben Jackson

Profile:
Sorry about the link, it's not working. Go to T-Nation http://www.t-nation.com/index.do and click on "Most Recent Articles" (at the top, underneath "log in"). It's the third article from the top.

Ben
Old 09-03-2004, 05:19 AM   #3
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Thank God I am not big. Sounds like too much work for me. I just want to be strong and in good shape. I remember my father was a bodybuilder and he had a lot of these things. I always had to help him off with his shirt because he couldn't reach past his elbow.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:16 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Most of those guys can't touch the back of their heads. There's a guy in my gym who's benching in the 600's who can't do back squat because he can't get his hands around the bar.

No thank you. That's not functional fitness. That's not even fitness. Like Kurt Vonnegut said about smoking, that's a socially acceptable form of suicide. You can't live to an old age like that.

Correction: You're not LIKELY to live to an old age like that, even leaving aside the drugs.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:59 AM   #5
Chris Bush

Profile:  
This is the physique that beinga powerlifter brings, at least a heavy powerlifter. What kind of physique does Crossfit bring. The goal is not a physique with crossfit as is powerlifting or even any other sport. However, I wonder what kind of physique is teh best example of a well trained crossfit disciple.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Look at any of the pictures floating around. Greg Amundson probably has the most obvious musculature. The guys that seem to perform the best all around are around 180-200 lb., trim, and not obviously well muscled.

I think it's worth pointing out that there are plenty of competitive powerlifters under 220. That's why they have weight classes.

I put a roof on a house one time with a national class bodybuilder, who I guess needed the money. He would move 5 feet and get tired. He was ripped, he was muscular, but he was worthless as a worker. Look at a good carpenter: that is a functional physique.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I should add: it's a free country. Those guys are making decisions consistent with their personal values, and I respect that.

I simply think the truth needs to be said, that there is a good chance that you are not going to live a long life if you get winded walking across a parking lot, and lack the flexibility to wipe your butt. I don't think he was joking.

The basic question is: if it came down to it, would you give 5-10 years of your life to be able to bench press 600 lb, or deadlift 1000? And, in the meantime, is it worth the loss in quality of life being out of breath all the time.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:02 PM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Having read the article, 2 observations:
1. I can see why mostg powerlifters have bald heads. They can't reach their head to comb or wash their hair.
2. They spend an awful lot of their time contemplating bowel movements!
Could you say they're "anal retentive?"
Now I know that if a powerlifter ever picks a fight with me, I can just walk away at a moderate pace and look back to see the guy having an MI trying to catch up!
Old 09-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #9
Kevin H

Profile:  
I was thinking about this today while at the gym. I guess what stuck in my head at the time was I've heard a lot of people here use the expression "leaning out". For some reason, I interpreted that as meaning losing non-functional muscle although I believe now it just meant losing fat. Also, I just had my body composition tested and it turns out, probably from protein malnutrition, that I've lost five lbs of LBM although my bodyfat percentage remained the same. Yet I've noticed that my vertical leap has improved by about an inch. Which means that my strength to weight ratio has increased, which is definitely one of my goals.

So, I think, that if you are coming to CrossFit from a bodybuilder routine, one of your goals should be to lose lean body mass. This will probably make you a fitter althlete all around, and you might even gain strength after working crossfit workouts for a while.

Don't take this as any advice, I'm just speculating.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #10
Scott Shafer

Profile:
Barry,

Most heavier powerlifters (and the whole WSB crew) would tell you that the lower weight classes exist for those who "don't have the balls to do what it takes to get HYOOOGE(!)".

:lol: