CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Mike Romo

Profile:
First Muscle Up--Thanks Rob Miller

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!

I just got my first muscle up. I've been doing CF stuff for several months and lurking on this board for awhile. Running across Rob's videos on the main page really gave me something to work on. I truly didn't think I had what it took for a muscle up. After watching the first two parts several times and finally getting the third part I embarked on my quest.

I built my rings out of 1" 90 degree EMT conduit and some 7 or 8 mm accessory cord. I covered the handles with athletic tape and hung them on the pull up bar at the fire station. I tried a couple of times throughout today and just now, HOLY MOLEY I managed an ugly and kinda wild, but solid muscle up from a bent knee--close to ground--full press out muscle up.

The key was learning the falst grip and watching Rob as he teaches the shoot through rather than shoot up move between the rings.

I've never met Rob Miller, in fact I barely recognized him initially. Rob, you are the man. Your teaching style is easy-going, but to the point. You call out people's mistakes, but point out their strengths and guide them solidly. Watching the three videos together and using your encouragement was enough for me to get my first muscle up.

I am totally psyched. I was going to set a new year fitness goal of learning to do a muscle up, but now I've got to come up with something better, man, I'm psyched.

Thanks a bunch Rob,

Mike

Last edited by Mike Romo : 11-16-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Michael Hebnes

Profile:
Re: First Muscle Up--Thanks Rob Miller

Totally agree

I also did my first full range musle-up today after watching the 3 step tutorial.. actually did 5 singles.

How sweet it is.... to be able to perform the Musle up.

Thanks a LOT.

//Hebnes
Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Congratulations! Its alway great to reach any goal. My rings should hopefully arrive soon so I can see for myself just how hard a muscleup is. I'm new around here so would either of you guys be kind enough to post a link to the instructionals you're talking about please.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Mike Romo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Armstrong View Post
Congratulations! Its alway great to reach any goal. My rings should hopefully arrive soon so I can see for myself just how hard a muscleup is. I'm new around here so would either of you guys be kind enough to post a link to the instructionals you're talking about please.

Thanks for the encouragement. Just go to the main CF page and scroll down, you can find the three installments in WMV and another format, I just right clicked and saved to my desktop so I could watch them anytime I wanted. It's like they took the lesson and chopped it into three parts for three smaller vids.

Awesome instruction.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Thanks Mike.