CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Megan Greene

Profile:
shoulder (in)stability during extension

i've been having trouble recently going from a dead hang under a bar to bringing my feet up and under the bar (e.g. to here: http://beastskills.com/invert.jpg) while keeping my arms straight. doing this requires abs but also shoulder extension (pushing the bar forward and down). as i push forward with my hands, there is a certain point in the extension, at about 135 degrees, where my shoulders sort of "hiccup." i think it's at that point where my shoulders suddenly have the freedom to externally rotate more than they had been when they were at 180 degrees. i feel like i suddenly switch from using one group of muscles to recruiting new muscles, and during the switch i have no strength or stability.

anyone know what's going on here and how to correct it?

by way of background, i have received a whole host of shoulder diagnoses over the past year (bursitis, rotator cuff strain, RC tendinosis, capsular strain, synovitis, multidirectional instability, and recurrent subluxations) and at this point i'm relatively pain free, and relatively strengthened via physical therapy, but still having some problems with various movemnts.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: shoulder (in)stability during extension

That link is WFS - you talking about doing a skin the cat? You need to keep control through the whole movement. What it sounds like is happening is you are relaxing when you need to keep tense and controlled while passing through. I could be totally wrong as I only do skin the cats for fun right now, but I make sure and keep my shoulders tight so as to not let gravity do the work and potentially hurt myself coming through. Steven Low would be a good person to post on this one.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Are your shoulders active when you're pulling? Or do they become active at that 135 point where there's a muscle switch? The pull from hang to inverted uses all of the same muscles so I can't see how there's a switch unless you're not having active shoulders through the whole movement or you are rotating your arms while you pull (which is probably unlikely).

Jim has a good description of active shoulders in his handstand tutorial if you don't know what that is.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Megan Greene

Profile:

just to clarify, the motion i'm talking about is:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1081/...4e1f9458_o.gif
(done with straight arms and no momentum)

i have trouble somewhere around or just after the middle step.

i definitely keep my shoulders active from the beginning (that is, pulling shoulderblades down and shoulders away from ears), but i think the trouble spot is the point where i start pushing the bar forward. at this point i also intuitively feel like i need to externally rotate my shoulders -- not sure if this is necessary for strength, or if i'm trying to avoid pain, or what.

thanks!
megan
Old 09-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Shoulders away from the ears? The shoulders should be active with the shoulder blades down but not necessarily being pulled away from the ears (with rings just a straight up hang would keep them very close to the ears). That could cause the muscle activation situation that's happening to you.