CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Neil Whiteman

Profile:
After reading the website for a month or two I decided to give crossfit a try. My prior weekly routine was MMA on Tuesday and Thursday with weights (mostly upper body) on Friday and Sunday. I’ve been attempting to follow the WOD schedule as best I can which leads me to my question. Is a WOD followed by one and one half or two hours of MMA too much? I’ve been pooped after every WOD. And then to have to train leaves me very slow and tired. Now, with that being said the warm-up used at my class is very crossfit orientated . It consists of three five min. rounds of running around the mat with the instructor calling random exercises, usually consisting of burpies, pushups, situps, air squats, crab and spider crawls, and what ever else he decides. Following this we usually do shots, wheelbarrows and piggybacks. Then it’s time for bag kicks. After that it’s time to train For the last week or so I’ve been doing the WOD and then going to class after the warm up. As I said before the WOD has been kicking my butt. Should I just consider the ‘warmup’ as a crossfit routine?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Mark Garcia

Profile:
I'd give it at least 4 hours in between
Old 04-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
John Vernon

Profile:
Lately I've been doing BJJ followed by a crossfit WOD. Usually finish BJJ (>1hr.) with 5 consecutive 3 minute rounds, 10-15 minute drive home and then a WOD of some sort lasting anywhere from 3-15 minutes. So far so good, I feel great and my BJJ doesn't suffer from any fatigue that is incurred from CF. If I did it the other way around I would CF early a.m. and recover for at least 2 hours before BJJ.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I do CrossFit then go to BJJ a couple night during the week -- I get about an hour break in between. We don't do any warmup stuff like running, jumping jacks or any of that kind of stuff though, we just start right in drilling jiujitsu moves. It did take me a while to adjust to doing the workouts that close together and I'm definitely not as strong during sparring in BJJ on those nights, but it's doable.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
Neil,I was doing crossfit then followed be 1/12 hours of jiu-jitsu, does this make your jiu-jitsu suffer after crossfit? A little but it will teach you to work when you are very tired. Closer to a meet, like the Nationals I will break it up. Crossfit and muay Thai on the same day right after each other, the the next day I will do 2 hours of Jiu-jitsu. 4 days on 1 day off.my conditioning is off the hook right now.This works for me.Becca nice site on myspace.

Michael Estrada
Team leader
Afghanistan
Maguilla BJJ purple belt
Carlson Gracie R.I.P.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
That would be 1 1/2 hours and only one THE.Been in afghanistan too long by brain is melting
Old 04-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Neil Whiteman

Profile:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately, with my job there is no way to put four hours between the WOD and the MMA class. I like the idea of doing a WOD after class, but again, time restraints prohibit it. The MMA class ends at nine and it’s close to ten by the time I get home. Then it’s bedtime. I guess I’ll go right from work to the gym and then to class. I think I can put 45 min or so between the WOD and MMA.

Becca, do you eat anything between classes?

Also, what is everyone’s thoughts on the ‘warmup’ counting as a WOD. By the time we’re done, everyone as done close to 100 pushups, 100squats, 100 situps and about 30-40 burpies. Should I just count this as a WOD and just do some of the heavy WOD’s on other days? I can certainly do the daily WOD and then train, but I’m wondering if I need to rush from one place to the next when I might not need to. For the record the daily WODs have been kicking my butt more than the warmup, but that might be because I’m new at this and not used to the WOD's.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
It really depends on your personal work capacity. Starting out, I think you should keep things to 1 workout per day. See how your body responds. After a few weeks of consistent training, try adding a WOD before MMA. Stick with that for a few weeks and pay close attention to your recovery and progress. If things are cool, try two days of WOD/MMA, etc.

Just add work in a gradual fashion so you don't burn out, or worse, get injured.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Tell your instructor about CrossFit and see if you can do CrossFit workouts instead of a warmup, that is, if you have the equipement available there.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Neil -- I get heartburn bending over to tie my shoes, so I'm really cautious about eating when it comes to exercise! lol! Seriously, though, I usually would eat a little bar, like a LaraBar or something between the classes and guzzle water with some Emergen-C tossed in.