CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I would like to see that.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there have been some people trained in Krav Maga that entered some of the early UFC bouts. Actually, I think former 170lb. champ Carlos Newton had trained in Krav Maga with the guy from Commando Krav Maga (Moni _____)-although Carlos clearly had other training, as well.

I am not sure Krav Maga would necessarily be a good fit for MMA. MMA is a sport and has specific rules, while Krav Maga is about self-defense and staying alive-especially while being outmanned or outgunned (please correct me if I'm drawing a caricature here). The two things are not the same and, I would think, give an advantage to those that have trained for the sport aspect.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
Carlos Newton was trained by Commando Krav Maga founder Moni Aizik. Commando Krav Maga is a combination of years of training (from the age of 8 and he is currently 54)by Moni in karate, judo, jujitsu, Kapap, Lotar and Krav Maga.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
www.mtbakercommandokravmaga.blogspot.com

(Message edited by abselite on May 28, 2007)
Old 05-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Oleg Taktarov (early UFC fighter) practices Krav Maga. Kevin seems to think only fighting styles that have been in the UFC are the only effective ones. Krav was created for the battlefield, not the ring. It's like comparing competitive shooters to a SWAT team. The competitive shooters will be the better shots under their rules, but wouldn't do as good a job say dealing with a rampaging gunman, where the SWAT team would do the better job.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
David Stegman

Profile:
I love those martial arts that are too "deadly" for any kind of MMA fight.

LOL
Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:
David,
During a street attack, there are no gloves, no referee, no mouth piece, no groin protection.

We teach students to break the elbow, gouge the eyes, crush the adams apple, destroy the shoulder, take away the gun or knife, etc.

In the octagon, it's for the win. In a street attack, it's for your life. Entirely different training methods.

(Message edited by abselite on May 29, 2007)
Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Good point, Skip.
Russian Systema is another one.
www.russianmartialart.com
Also, Tony Blauer has some great insights into both areas of train ing.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
David Stegman

Profile:
Thanks for the tips Skip. I'll keep all of that in mind during my next wild street fight.

So what you are saying is.....those Krav techniques are limited to "real" fights. You can't use any of it unless you are being threatened with knives, guns, and multiple attackers.

Limiting your techniques to scenarios that have very little chance of taking place is kind of strange to me. But hey.....to each his own!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Skip Chase

Profile:
I may be wrong, but it seems there is 'sarcasm' in your comments.

"So what you are saying......."
I didn't say that at all.

"Limiting your techniques to scenarios that have very little chance of taking place is kind of strange to me."

I would guess that 95%+ of the martial arts students in the world are learning techniques, preparing for scenarios that have very little chance of taking place, as you state. The average martial arts student will never become, nor do they want to become a cage fighter.

Their primary motivation is self defense.

It sounds like you are very fortunate to have never experienced a street attack. I have experienced 3. Each by multiple attackers and thanks to military and martial arts training, I did not become an injured victim.

We hope none of our members/students are ever attacked. They want to learn, just in case.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
David Stegman

Profile:
Skip, I'm just jabbing at you a bit. I'm sure you are somewhat used to that. Most fellow martial artists are.

I've been involved in Martial Arts for the past 20 years. 11 being in BJJ and the rest in Karate/Kickboxing....and I have experienced a street attack and I did not become a victim either.

I think Krav along with a few other Martial Arts are very effective in a street situation...I was just making a point about MMA or other combat "sports" in relation to that sort of training. Styles that claim they are too deadly for any kind of sport etc......that doesn't make sense to me. It "should" be effective in any combat situation. Not limited to armed attacks on the street or the crazy roving band of fighters you may encounter in the mysterious "dark alley" etc.

I've trained with a few Krav guys and while sparring all I heard was "I could have done this...or I could have done that" etc. Kinda like the old pressure point guys.

I'm not saying all Krav trainers are like that....I respect the fact that they teach very practical self-defense to people that don't want to join some silly Karate/TKD school or roll around with a bunch of sweaty guys on a mat. If I had to choose something for everyday self-defense Krav would be at the top of my list.