CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
Mark Barry

Profile:
I have heard about CF for a while now and ready to make the commitment to start training. I plan to do the WODs and when my Zone books arrive, start that nutition plan as well.

I retired from the Navy two years and struggling to find physicall challenges. I do adventure racing, have run marathons, mountain and road bike, just about anything that is challenging. CF certainly fits that requirement and I am sure I will be challenged.

The gym I go to does not have all the equipment so I will be looking for the alternatives when it comes to rope climbing, rings, etc. I thing the extensive library of archieve information on this site will help with that.

Any advice for a 46 y/o guy in better than average shape will be appreciated.

Anyone in Tampa doing this?

Cheers, Mark
Old 03-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Mark,
Buy and read "Starting Strength" - Ripetoe

Read start here, what is fitness and all of the FAQs

Spend some time looking through the old message board posts and learn how to use the search function. A lot of people just coming to crossfit have the same types of questions most of which have been discussed multiple times so spend some time looking around.

spend $25 and subscribe to the crossfit journal (best subsc. I ever bought) buy back issues of interest.

There is an amazing wealth of information on this site, most of it free. I would say you could easily spend an hour a day for months reading old posts etc. and learn a lot!

If you could find a local CF certified to put you through the basics that would be great.

Do the official crossfit warmup before every workout and Scale your workouts until you get the hang of it.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
Jason McCain

Profile:
I'll second Craig on all of that. Mark I sent you a message.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Mark Barry

Profile:
Thanks for the information. I already subscribed to the CF Journal just waiting to receive it. I have been reading the posts and FAQs for the past two weeks. It like learning a new language. I am excited about this!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome to CF Mark. You will definitely find what you ae looking for here. CF’s exercise program will get you into the shape you need for whatever your ebdeavor is and there are plenty of people here who are involved in everything from mma, rock climbing, swimming, skiing, wrestling, tennis, para-sailing, marathons, weight training……the list is literary endless. Look over the videos in the “Exercises & Demos” section on the front page. Just click the link and it will get you there then select any of the “wmv” or “mov” links and enjoy the show. Check out Eva T’s blog and website for ideas on working out with little or no equipment: http://skievat.blogspot.com/ (work/family safe). She is pretty much one of the elites here (in my opinion). Ask questions and have fun.
I too am 46 now and as a volunteer fire fighter, for over 5 years now, I can tell you that CF has made me more physically fit than any other program I have been involved in, and I have been involved in a lot.
Good luck and welcome.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Mark Barry

Profile:
WOW!! My first workout...and I thought I was in shape!

This is going to be fun.

Thanks for the workouts