CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Joe Crabb

Profile:
I've been doing crossfit for about 3 wks now and I'm really enjoying it. I've had to reduce the workouts on most days to be able to come close to finishing them. I'm 40 and a little overweight and definitely out of shape, I've lifted for several years and jogged some but haven't worked out like this. I've been a little short of breath on several of the workouts, however today I did the 21 deadlifts w/225 lbs. and when I finished I couldn't catch my breath and naturally I panicked and made it worse, I really thought that I was going to pass out. My question is that totally normal until I get into better shape?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Jeff Oldham

Profile:
Oh Yeah! Use Jeff Martin's brandxmartialarts.com site for the scaled workouts. As the world's largest, oldest "buttercup" I find that following the scaled workouts makes a lot of sense. Watch your rest and work into the heavier stuff. I originally tried to do the WOD's as if it was 25 years ago and I was 50 lbs lighter. It deestroyed me. The Crossfit concept is great. However, you have to be patient.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Scale it down to your level of comfort (just shy of panic) but still able to push yourself. Remember results come with the consistent and steady workouts. long term health is always a priority. Eat right and that will make a huge difference as you will need the nutrition for recovery. Don't worry about the weights listed, most people are scaling down. For example, for most workouts I have a 20min max time. I push myself in those 20 minutes as hard as I can. In addition that usually means scaling down to get the workout in 20min. Little by little the progress comes and then soon I am able to do more and more in that 20min. Just keep with it, don't over do it, eat right and get rest. You will do fine.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Joe,
What you are experiencing is very common. Take a long view of getting into CrossFit. In the beginning it is better to leave the workout feeling like you could have done a little more.
Here's the link to our site...
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 09-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Joe Crabb

Profile:
I appreciate you guys help, the not being able to breathe thing scared the heck out of me. Also may have had a little to do with fighting the allergies and being stopped up. I like the scaled down version, Jeff, I guess I'm a 40 yr old puppy.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
So was I Joe. But you would be surprised what you can do if you start slow and work consistently. Turned 47 a couple of weeks ago and I believe I'm stronger, faster and in better shape than when I was in my 20's.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
i'm right there with you, joe, but probably a little more out of shape. go read hammy's journal in the wod's...you'll see what i mean. i started a week after you and decided to keep a journal.

"25 years and 50 pounds ago"...i like that description, jeff oldham

jeff martin, your birthday muscle ups were inspiring, and even more so now that i see your quote above.