CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-16-2003, 09:47 AM   #1
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Anybody use them?
I know that the stronger grippers are a little too nuts and nobody really "needs" to be able to close the #3 to still have a solid grip, but does anybody use them here?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
Ryan McGill

Profile:  
Nard,

I use them every now and then. I've closed the #2 for 3 reps per hand but never really got motivated enough to shoot for the #3.

Any other Crossfitters use the CoCs?
Old 10-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
Jon Pappas

Profile:
I used to use the trainers and #1, but stopped after starting CrossFit because I didn't see the need with all the Olympic lifting, deadlifting, and rope climbing with CrossFit.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I can close the #1 about 10-12 times for one set on a good day. The #2 is at the 1 cm mark from closing.
I also don't really see if closing the #3 is "necessary", because it's almost the grip-equivalent to a 750lb squat or something.

BTW: I used to visit the gripboard message board and the guys there are of course quite gung-ho about forearm strength, but you'd sometimes see some strange posts...a few times I saw ones very close to this:
"Hello, There's a guy I know who can bench 315,squat 480 for 12 rock-bottoms, curls 55lb DBs for 10, does a 54 secnond 400m, and can do 25 pull-ups,but could you believe I gave him the #2 and he could only close it once!!!"
Take into account that many of these grip meisters do not seem to have impressive physiques and seem to completely eschew aerobics of any sort.
Sorry, but my post sounds so bitter. Maybe Joe Kinney stole my girlfriend!:biggrin:
Old 10-16-2003, 07:59 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Nard:

Everyone has to have a passion about something, about which they will probably be nearly completely myopic and obsessive.

Grip training just happens to be theirs.

For most of the people here (myself included), it's CrossFit. If you're going to have a passion, it's a good choice . . .

Dave
Old 10-17-2003, 12:53 AM   #6
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Of course, but what i meant when I paraphrased some grip message board posts is that they just equated a guy who can squat, chin and run like the devil with a weakling due to his grip (or lack thereof) strength.
It's like a marathoner thinking nobody is fit if they're not running 12 miles every day.
Yeah if you're gonna be gung-ho about a fitness protocol it's safe to do it with CrossFit.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:03 AM   #7
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I have a #1 gripper and cheap and nasty grippers for warming up, which I use most days and spend one session a week at the gym developing forearm and grip strength, this is especially important for me as a martial artist, it's no good having a strong body if you can't hold on. Then I do crossfit for the rest of the week.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:26 PM   #8
Sean Harrison

Profile:
So I guess you find the #1 good enough? I know I do. though I still try the #2.
I recommend for any CrossFitters out there who do recognize that grip is important to buy the trainer ( which is easier than the #1) and #1. Of course if you can do the #2 or even be certified for the #3 then more power to you!