CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Exercise to focus on tummy fat

Abs are made in the kitchen
Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
How much heavy lifting is in your programming?

Heavy lifting=more muscle mass=higher BMR=more fat burned.
I don't know why you keep on saying this. It's not true. More muscle mass is a function of living heavy and eating more than maintenance levels. Eating more than maintenance levels is not conducive to burning fat.

Heaving lifting while cutting calories spares protein, which allows for a greater proportion of the weight loss to come from fat stores.

Plus, like I said before, 1 extra pound of muscle will only cause about 6 more calories to be burned per day at rest.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yes, but someone who is a relative novice can increase their LBM even while maintaining a slight caloric deficit and losing weight if their body becomes efficient at using stored bodyfat as a fuel source for low intensity activity.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Plus, like I said before, 1 extra pound of muscle will only cause about 6 more calories to be burned per day at rest.
just curious how much would say an additional 10 pounds (in a woman) 20 pounds (in a man) of lean muscle mass burn over the course of a week when you include strenuous exercise for an hour a day 5 days a week not just rest?

at rest it may only burn a few hundred extra calories a week, but during serious work i would imagine your muscles are destroying calories.

i admittedly don't know so it's a serious question...
Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
Arumayta Martinez

Profile:

Angie,

I feel your pain. I'm definately aware that "spot" training doesn't result in loosing fat in certain areas.
I've been struggling with belly fat too!
I've been doing crossfit for 1 year and 9 months and for most of that time I've been following the mainsite's programming.

I've been eating clean for a year with a cheat meal or two a week.
I have definately increased strength and speed in my workouts...
but at times I feel like the belly fat is not a good representation of my hard work.
I have notice that when I do some additional running(sprints) my belly looks a bit flatter.
*sigh*

let me know when you figure it out! lol

however, do not be discouraged!
CrossFit makes girls STRONG and HOT!!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

I've just come to accept the fact that a midsection devoid of any visible fat is just wishful thinking for me... unless I want to do some drastic stuff which will cause me to take a hit in strength and performance and feel like doodoo for a while. :-/
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
Angie Ross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M Brennan View Post
be consistent with your exercise and clean eating and it will change... time will bring about the changes. i am sure that there is much less tummy fat than when you started ..its just that as the rest of you becomes more toned and leaner the areas that dont tone at the same rate give the impression that nothoing is happening.

happen
Thanks!!! You are right! I was looking at videos 2 mos ago and my belly was much bigger then. Patience is a virtue! Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

"Watching my diet" these are infamous words.

In my experience this usually translates to not eating as poorly as before.

Which is very different from eating correctly.

1) Keep a 100% accurate food log and show it to someone weekly who really knows about nutrition. A successful CrossFitter who used the same diet your following.

2) Go Paleo or Zone. I personally prefer Paleo though Zone is a great way to eat as long as you do it correctly. Get your portion measurements correct and stick to the high quality Carbs is key on Zone. Paleo just stick to the right foods (Making sure you are eating healthy fats, the women seem to try and eat low carb and low fat at the same time. Bad idea healthy fats are your friend.) and keep fruit to 1 piece a day or less.

3) Have you eliminated all forms of sugar, flour and dairy? These are the primary offenders to spiking insulin levels which triggers the body to store instead of use up body fat.

We really do eat this way. I have been strict Paleo for a year. I might have a cheat meal every two weeks.

Just recently I have changed my diet to try and gain some weight to get stronger. What did I do? Eat more of what I have been eating and add milk back into my diet.

Your belly will come off fast if your diet is on point and you are doing CrossFit 4-5 times a week.

Last watch social situations carefully. It is easy to eat well at lunch with friends from CrossFit. What about with your non CrossFit friends, coworkers, extended family, place of worship, girl/boy scouts etc.

We have a very unhealthily food culture in America. You have to be prepared to eat differently then those around you. Of course the reward is you will look and feel better then they do.

Keep up the good work. You have only been working on it for 3 months. Tighten up the diet some more and give it another 3 months. We have the tools to shape your body anyway you want it.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Squat Heavy
Sprints

No LSD
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The advantage of "LSD" training over heavy sprinting and lifting is that it's less likely to burn you out and you can do it every day.