CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Carryover...

Until June, I had never swam competitively in my entire life. My swimming experience was limited to summers at the lake, rivers, and occasionally a friend's pool. I knew I was a "good swimmer" but that's about it...
This summer, my daughter joined the swim team. At practice, the coach asked for "parent swimmers" and I agree to the task. I'm thinking that they were asking for someone to get in the water to help the kids out and I thought it would help break the monotony of watching 2hour practices...
Fast forward to her first swim meet. I've forgotten about volunteering to be a "parent swimmer" and the meet starts. My daughter is kicking ***, I'm running the camera, and here comes coach, "you ready to race?"... "What?" She explains that parent swimmers are actually part of the OASTA swim organization. There are former collegiate swimmers, and these guys are serious. They've all got the gear, the goggles, the technique. I hear them discussing lap times, breathing ,strategy, and I start to get nervous. I can't possibly hang with this crowd. Luckily I had only signed up for freestyle sprint races, so my beatdown wouldn't take very long. Eventually I find myself at poolside looking down my lane hoping to just get it over with. I crouch, the starter beeps loudly and I dive as far as I possibly can and just start paddling. I reach the wall and look up to see how bad I'm beaten and to my amazement, I won! Throughout the season, I won or medaled in every race I entered until districts. Even then the worst I did was 5th place in a long event.
Sometimes having speed/power trumps technique!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
Jon Cowie

Profile:
Re: Carryover...

I once got corralled (spelling?) into an inter company swim event at an old military posting, because 'i like exercising', despite my protestations of holding no more than a 10 metre badge (which i confess to cheating on, i touched to floor when i turned). Needless to say it didn't go quite as well as your effort, i came in dead last after most people had already got out the pool! It was pretty funny though, as i HAD explained my innability to swim numerous times, and most people knew what was coming