CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Trae Schneider

Profile:
First Muscle Up!

So today I was helping a friend do the 1-10-1-20-1-30 dealift WOD, in our little box in Afghanistan. After he finished we started agreeing how we both wanted to be able to do 1 muscle up before we left here. I told him I was about to do muscle up progressions and he told me he'd never seen them and wanted to check it out.

Get to the rings and start the progressions. It felt good going through about 5 progressions and I said lets just give it a try. Grip the rings, dead hang, get a good kip, and BAM I'm pressing up...yelling in triumph every bit of the way.

I get down and he does his progressions and I tell him to give it a try. He does the same thing and he gets his first as well. We were like big kids, grinning ear to ear and hollering at the top of our lungs because we just did something we've been working a couple months on.

To top everything off, we caught our breath and knocked out another 2 a piece. It's days like today that make our sport amazing and continues to draw huge numbers and keeping them for a lifetime.

Sorry, to be cheesy but just had to let it out, as this was one hell of a rush and small triumph for myself.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Jeffrey P Prejean

Profile:
Re: First Muscle Up!

How ironic - I rarely post on the Journal boards but I also got my first muscle up this weekend - inspired by the games I guess. It was more mental than I thought. Just had to focus - got 5 in all before my WOD.

Where do you crossfit in Ruston? I'm in Alexandria and have to make do with at a local gym. Headed to Dallas July 31st to get my Level 1 cert - hopefully I can start the process of justifying a local affiliate.

Jeff Prejean
Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Congratulations to you both! Yeah, the Games were certainly inspiring in that regard. As I watched women hit muscle-up after muscle-up, I started to wonder what was wrong with me....
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Trae Schneider

Profile:

Yea, the games were definitely inspirational. Seeing those guys/girls push themselves that hard and putting up the numbers they did was insane. The only thing better was watching the cheering from the crowd and also the competitors themselves...just another example of why this sport is awesome.

Jeff,

I'm currently in Afghanistan and we have a small gym, or dojo as we call it. We've got the minimum stuff here to do the wod's and it's catching on. I'm even "guiding" a couple classes per day. I'm currently awaiting words about being sponsored by the Air Force to do the level 1 cert over here. They are sending a HQ team to do it. I'm crossing my fingers about it but if it doesn't happen then I'll just attend the level 1 cert myself when I get back.

As for Ruston, there's not a box there...yet. I'm hoping to get my cert and affiliate. Seems like a great market with the college there and I know they have a box in Monroe and Shreveport already. I'm getting people hooked on this lifestyle all the way over here so I think it'll be pretty good back home as well.

Thanks for the replies, guys....congrats on your first ones as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Allan Jackman

Profile:

MY 31st birthday was yesterday, I too was working on skills today: ball of the foot strike while running, double unders and muscle up progressions. After running and jump rope, I hung the rings on the cross bar of the cable cross-over machine/contraption about head high. I then checked my false grip and free hung underneath, then I decided to try and "BAM", I was up. I was incredibly excited after working crazily at pull ups and ring dips. I then decided to try the pull-bar handles on the cable cross-over contraption and also got a muscle up on that!

I got my Soldiers and had them watch b/c they knew this was a goal of mine during this deployment and I needed to show them instead of telling them. It was funny because they knew I had been working for this and I had finally completed one.

Other goals for the deployment, free standing hand stand and 100 unbroken double unders.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
Trae Schneider

Profile:

Allan,

That's awesome, bro. I'm also wanting to do a free standing handstand. Did HSPU against the wall today and it's seems so far away from my goal...but so did all of our goals for muscle ups.

Congrats again, man. Keeping pushing it. Keep your head down.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Congratulations. I'd be grinning ear to ear too!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Nice going, I wish my small Irish butt could do a muscle up.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Luke Norian

Profile:

Got my first muscle-ups the other day as well! Felt great because it's something I've wanted to do since I started CF 2 months ago. I didn't realize how much form was a factor and once I learned that from a CF'er in my class then I got it on the rings no problem..tried it on the bar and also knocked one off on their too. Well, it was definitely one of my goals before the summer ended so it feels great to accomplish it. My other goal was also a free-standing handstand..haven't gotten there yet but it's gotten better!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Congrats! Just got my first muscle-ups last week while dropping in on CF Palo Alto. I surprised the heck out of myself in the process, as I was not expecting it to happen, and really benefitted as well from the pointers of another experienced CF'er. I've also been dying to get one since starting CF a few years back and it felt really great. I'll echo the comments that form played a much bigger role than I expected, as I could already do ring pull ups and dips pretty well. The false grip and "ripping the elbows back" while keeping them close to the body were keys for me. Once those keys took hold, it was much easier to get the 2nd, 3rd, etc.