CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #21
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: Friday 100423 question about speed vs. power

Cody, you are right on the money.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #22
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Reis View Post
I'm totally new to all this so feel free to just tell me to shut up an move on

For me, you can tell that the intended stimulus is to produce the higher power output. If you are breaking the into sets of 5 to 7 that would imply it's at least close to your 5 rep max. Would you ever do anywhere close to 9 sets of your 5 rep max on a lift? A program like that would likely hinder your strength gains rather than improve them.

But like I said, I'm new to all this and still trying to learn!
Sigh,
Scale it how you want. The thing is, if you can do the WOD rxed, and it's not anti your goals, then I would say do so. That's the way to IWCABTAMD, IMO.

Or do both or neither.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #23
Cody Reis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Sigh,
Scale it how you want. The thing is, if you can do the WOD rxed, and it's not anti your goals, then I would say do so. That's the way to IWCABTAMD, IMO.

Or do both or neither.
I think for me if I was trying to benchmark myself I'd do it as RX'd but as just a regular WOD I'd probably scale. But I agree, w/ the "Scale it how you want", that's what I love about Crossfit so far. You really can tailor it to yourself.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #24
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
If you are breaking the into sets of 5 to 7 that would imply it's at least close to your 5 rep max.
This is much more likely to happen on the second or third round because you are tired, not because it is your 5 rep max. If a WOD has 15 reps at your 5 rep max weight, I think it is common sense to scale down.

The original poster said his strength wasn't an issue, which to me means he is capable of a 15 rep set at 135. Being capable of a 15 rep set though, doesn't mean you won't have to break it up once you get into a workout and start getting a bit gassed.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #25
Cody Reis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Webernick View Post
This is much more likely to happen on the second or third round because you are tired, not because it is your 5 rep max. If a WOD has 15 reps at your 5 rep max weight, I think it is common sense to scale down.

The original poster said his strength wasn't an issue, which to me means he is capable of a 15 rep set at 135. Being capable of a 15 rep set though, doesn't mean you won't have to break it up once you get into a workout and start getting a bit gassed.
I guess I may have read it wrong, I thought he meant he'd have to break up all rounds to sets of 5-7 reps since he specifically mentioned the burpees not being broken until after the first round.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #26
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
I guess I may have read it wrong, I thought he meant he'd have to break up all rounds to sets of 5-7 reps since he specifically mentioned the burpees not being broken until after the first round.
The original post does leave it a bit to interpretation. I may have even read more into the use of the phrase "strong enough."

Still, I don't think breaking a 15 rep set into sets of 5-7 is bad at all. It really all depends on how long of a rest you are taking when you break the sets up.

In the video below, Jason Khalipa breaks up his sets quite frequently, but it isn't an indication that he should have scaled down. The workouts are meant to be hard. Rather than attempting to scale down to a weight that you can complete unbroken, I think if you are able to complete all sets unbroken you should be scaling up. Of course that is just my opinion.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._KhalipaDT.wmv WFS

Last edited by Ryan Webernick : 04-27-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #27
Cody Reis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Webernick View Post
It really all depends on how long of a rest you are taking when you break the sets up.
I think this is the key. I recently read through a Journal article about scaling and that was mentioned, if you are stopping to take a few breaths it's a lot different than stopping for 30sec to a min or more because the weight is too great.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #28
Ian Nigh

Profile:

This discussion is great!
Funny thing is, I agree with just about all the posts so far, to some extent.
The take-home message is to preserve the intended stimulus of the WOD, or, to put it another way, do not sacrifice the intensity for higher weight.

I think a weight where you can do the 15 reps unbroken in the first round, but then have to take a quick breather in then second, and two or three in the third is close to ideal.

if this gets too easy, scale the weight up. If you want to benchmark, do it RX'd, but you will get the maximum gains from preserving the intensity. You can always add in strength work before the WOD!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #29
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you have to scale the weights, the issue is not who do I scale, the issue is how do you work on getting stronger.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #30
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

I used 95lbs. Welcome to the big girl's club.