CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #121
Hamze Abdi

Profile:
Re: Assistance bands for my little sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Hamze, that's called "taking words out of context." That's when I was referencing the CrossFit Journal article about training for sprinting. And indeed, nowhere in that article was gaining weight to look like a bodybuilder (which apparently was the only thing you took from that article) mentioned. So I'm going to call BS on you for that.
I just don't see the difference between gorging on 6000 calories from "clean" foods and gorging on 6000 calories from "dirty" foods.

No amount of clean food magic is going to make me look pretty at 5'11 and 230 pounds unless I take vitamin S.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #122
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

A) too much food
B) you don't need to weigh 230lb, only 104.5 kilos

Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #123
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi View Post
I just don't see the difference between gorging on 6000 calories from "clean" foods and gorging on 6000 calories from "dirty" foods.

No amount of clean food magic is going to make me look pretty at 5'11 and 230 pounds unless I take vitamin S.
The reason crap food is crap is because it doesn't promote a balanced diet. Usually that kind of food is packed full of carbs - which by themselves aren't bad unless eating tons of carbs causes you to have a big deficiency in protein or fat comparatively.

Any questions?

Oh, by the way, if you are at all serious about any of this, stop referencing things as "magic."

Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #124
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
A) too much food
B) you don't need to weigh 230lb, only 104.5 kilos
Let's skip all the BS and get to the heart of the matter. I don't want to bulk. I'd rather cut, get lean, and then see if I want to maintain or do a slow bulk.

I am pretty scared of even a clean bulk messing up my pullup results. Especially since I'm not doing 100 pullups a day. Generally, people who have an easier time with pullups can bulk while still being good at pullups, just not "as good". If I gained 15 pounds while not getting stronger, I'd just be at 0 pullups which is no good to me.

Since 2500 cals from dirty foods hurt my results, I can't see 2500 cals from clean foods not hurting the performance as well. Unless I use "eating clean" as an excuse to eat less which is fine, but I'm not at that point where I need to look at that, yet. At least, I don't think I am(it's all perception, apparently). It's not like I am burning 6000 calories a day and I am asking myself "why am I still gaining weight?"

My best pullup day came after gorging myself on junk food the day before.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #125
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

BS? what do you mean?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #126
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Let's skip all the BS and get to the heart of the matter. I don't want to bulk. I'd rather cut, get lean, and then see if I want to maintain or do a slow bulk.

I am pretty scared of even a clean bulk messing up my pullup results. Especially since I'm not doing 100 pullups a day. Generally, people who have an easier time with pullups can bulk while still being good at pullups, just not "as good". If I gained 15 pounds while not getting stronger, I'd just be at 0 pullups which is no good to me.

Since 2500 cals from dirty foods hurt my results, I can't see 2500 cals from clean foods not hurting the performance as well. Unless I use "eating clean" as an excuse to eat less which is fine, but I'm not at that point where I need to look at that, yet. At least, I don't think I am(it's all perception, apparently). It's not like I am burning 6000 calories a day and I am asking myself "why am I still gaining weight?"

My best pullup day came after gorging myself on junk food the day before.
OK, you cut and get yourself scrawnier than you are. Let us know how that works for you.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #127
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
OK, you cut and get yourself scrawnier than you are. Let us know how that works for you.
Now, you're just being confusing.

Which is it, "cardio is going to make your body hold all your fat" or "2 hours of cardio is going to shrink your muscles".

Old 03-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #128
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Now, you're just being confusing.

Which is it, "cardio is going to make your body hold all your fat" or "2 hours of cardio is going to shrink your muscles".
It's an effect colloquially called "skinny-fat." Look it up. I'm not explaining it here because you'll just take something out of context or get entirely the wrong meaning out of what I say.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #129
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

your BF will be higher because of it's weight relative your lost muscle mass. Of course, you should really be looking at relationship between digiti minimi brevis and pullup performance if you hope to get anywhere.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #130
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Well, I have no idea how to train for an ultramarathon... ):
Christ on a bike, really? People run. Then they run for longer periods of time. At no point do they spend 3-4 hours walking. The get the intensity and then the duration. Not the other way around.

You have no real muscle to speak of, by the way. If you do cut, you will look skinny and weak, as well as be skinny and weak. I don't care how big you think your leg is.

Eat good foods. Due to the way that your body reacts to and processes food from different sources, your diet will effect whether you are gaining fat or muscle, regardless of the exercise you're doing.

Do more strength training. Not just pull-ups. You need it. I know 15-year old girls that can squat more than 100lbs. Being weak is not a good thing. Squatting would help your running more than any amount of pull-ups.