CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:
Metcons and maintaining lean mass

I'm wondering what you guys do to protect your lean mass when you get in a diet, cut, how you name it. I've been cutting since 3.5 months to improve my crossfit performance, dropped from %21 to something around %13, i don't think i lost too much lean mass but protecting is still a mystery for me, i'm hungry for knowledge about that. What should be the volume of weight training when cutting to maintain muscle mass ? I mean metcons alone are enough to do that or you need to combine metcons with extra weightlifting sessions ? I do 4 wods a week that includes weightlifting, i'm not so into making some extra workouts because i also play tennis and my program is already very tiring for me especially on a cut. But still don't know if i'm working enough or not. Any information will be appreciated.

Edit: My diet is alright. I'm on 650 calories decifit a day, losing near 1.5 pounds a week, just works perfect for me. I just need to know more about training systems while you are on a decifit and wanna keep your lean mass.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Metcons and maintaining lean mass

Make sure you are eating enough protein, that is probably the most important thing. As far as working out, I would limit the metcons you do and would more focus on lifting. I wouldn't go crazy worrying about it though unless you do a lot of metcons, I would also increase your calories a bit.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Make sure you are eating enough protein, that is probably the most important thing. As far as working out, I would limit the metcons you do and would more focus on lifting. I wouldn't go crazy worrying about it though unless you do a lot of metcons, I would also increase your calories a bit.
What do you mean by focusing more on "lifting" ? What kind of lifting would you suggest ?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
What do you mean by focusing more on "lifting" ? What kind of lifting would you suggest ?
I would suggest lifting weights
Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I would suggest lifting weights
Ok but what is the system ? I mean lifting bodybuilder style like 5x10 etc or strength programs with percentages like wendler's or starting strength ?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
Ok but what is the system ? I mean lifting bodybuilder style like 5x10 etc or strength programs with percentages like wendler's or starting strength ?
3 sets of 5, 5 sets of 5, 3 sets of 8, 3 sets of 8 with 2 sets of 12, 3 sets of 5 with two sets of 3, take your pick. It doesn't really matter as long as you are hitting all the major muscle groups on a regular basis and are in the 5-12 rep range most of the time. You can go into lower or higher rep ranges too, I would just try to keep it more in the 5-8 range with maybe a few sets in the 12 rep range.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

When I cutted it was a pain in the ***. Unable to sleep due hunger, feeling fatique all the time...it sux big time.

So next time I do it I want it to be done asap, so I will go with Lyle's ultimate diet 2.0, it suppose to make you loose a pound of fat weekly and keep muscles. I think I can handle a week on it, or two
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Good luck with that. UD 2.0 is not exactly the easiest diet plan to follow. I would definitely be interested in hearing about your experience on it though.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Yea I imagine Luke. I dont have any timeframe planned for it as I currently work on my strength, but the way I look at it...I rather suffer for a week or two then for a month

If it happens I will certainly report about it on the forum. But I somehow hope cutting will happen as I transit my training more into metcom oriented training...
Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
When I cutted it was a pain in the ***. Unable to sleep due hunger, feeling fatique all the time...it sux big time.

So next time I do it I want it to be done asap, so I will go with Lyle's ultimate diet 2.0, it suppose to make you loose a pound of fat weekly and keep muscles. I think I can handle a week on it, or two
Man it shouldn't be so hard. I mean i was 186 lb and now 164, i have never felt hungry even once in this 3.5 months period. I just take 1900 calories EVERYDAY! which is 600-650 calories under my daily maintenance. I take 140 grams of proteins (equals 560 calories) and i just fill the rest with whatever i wanna eat. I never enjoy any meal without rice, so i eat a lot of rice, also trying not to eat simple carbs, that's all. Just find your maintenance and aim for a 500-1000 calories decifit a day depending on how fast you wanna lose and how much muscle lose you wanna lose.

Diet has never been a pain in the *** for me but training always is. I mean you get smaller, you get faster but also weaker. Your lifts decreases gradually, you can't do anything. You never enjoy it when you are lifting to protect as much as you do when you are lifting to gain.