CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Lukas Kvasnicka

Profile:
Step by step the right approach?

Hey,
I just finished my first week of Paleo. Wanted to give it a shoot long ago but was afraid of it because of my working schedule. I'm working in shifts as an airtrafficcontroller so there are no "regular" meal times for me. For a few years now I avoid sugar and drink only water or tea so no coke or stuff like that. But I was eating grains, rice, potatoes and all those things.
After one week of Paleo I must say I like the positive effects a lot. I don't feel like I just ate stones after my meal. I have a lot more concentration during times I would normally feel like I need to nap.
I never counted calories before and don't do it now. I followed my master plan: hungry -> eat something, not hungry anymore -> stop eating Which can be quite a lot food during a 12 hour shift. Though I only sit at work but it seems like my brain is devouring those steaks I put into my body in order to make those aircraft survive their trips^^

The downside of all of this is that all the cooking and preparing food is taking a lot of time. So when I come home late and have to get up early at 4am I'm not in the mood or even physically able to prepare anything My breakfast is always a shake because of that. 400ml milk, 1x swoop whey, 1 banana, 1 teaspoon peanut butter for the taste. I switched the milk for coconut milk and will stick to that.

So I think I will switch it to at least 1 meal per day Paleo only. Avoiding grains totally or as much as possible at least. So if I didn't prep a meal I will try and eat as healthy as I did the last few years but try and get some rice or potatoes instead of grains. I will avoid dairy products as much as possible also since I don't rly eat much of them anyway. But I like cottage cheese now and then or some berries with yoghurt and I don't think I'll cut that out.

What do you guys think of that approach? It is not Paleo only but my job involves a lot of stress anyway so I want at least my private life to be peaceful and I have to find the right way with the nutrtion. I can't (and don't want to) spend a lot of time buying, preparing and cooking stuff but I will try and include as much as possible into my daily life. Sounds like a plan?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
David Fletcher

Profile:
Re: Step by step the right approach?

Try cooking in bulk. It's quite a bit different than following your typical recipes most cookbooks have, but if you cook 10 lb of meat on the weekend you'll have plenty of leftovers for several days. Then you can use that pre-cooked meat to quickly make stir frys, salads, sandwiches (with lettuce wrap), or just eat as is. The only time I cook food for just one meal is when I'm trying to impress someone.

It also helps to learn to cook well, so that you actually enjoy what you make. I prefer what I cook over most restaurants so it's a self-reinforcing skill.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Lukas Kvasnicka

Profile:

Sounds like a good advice. I don't like cooking that is the main problem. I enjoy good food and I go to restaurants a lot a week which includes "premium or high class" restaurants I dunno what you call them in English^^ Food is good but cooking is not
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The good news is that better restaurants are more likely to have options that fit your diet. Gets expensive, though.

If you search the forums, you'll find a recipe for egg muffins: break eggs into muffin cups, add whatever ingredients you like, and bake. Do a bunch of them at once and reheat for a quick breakfast as needed.

As a frequent flyer, I appreciate and encourage your improved concentration!

Katherine
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Lukas Kvasnicka

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

As a frequent flyer, I appreciate and encourage your improved concentration!

Katherine
Oh I could tell ya stories but I better don't