CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
Debra Rae Doyle

Profile:
Re: Nothing but Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson View Post
okay now that we have some input, heres my reasoning;

i sustained an elbow injury during sport (hyperextension). this made many upper body movements impossible (and things like deadlifts). I focused on what i could do, squats and sprints. Then, i recalled all the articles ive read, citing squats as the most important exercise for sports performance and gaining strength (i know this is debatable). So then the question was born; "what if all i did, was squat?".

the results after 2 weeks? Ive gone up 10 lbs a week on my squat (3 squat workouts per week). My legs are marginally bigger. and the kicker is, i bench pressed for the first time in 3 weeks the other day, and my bench press was slightly stronger ( i gained 1 rep).

now, i never said that i was speaking in the long term. im sure eventually my other strength lifts would degrade. but for the time being im enjoying the experiment.
When I did a Smolov cycle a while ago, one of the sites where I got some of the information about it actually mentioned that most people experience other gains even while they've eliminated all other movements. I don't remember where I read it however but one reason speculated was hormonal improvements due to increased leg muscle mass. I did experience an improvement across the board after the cycle, but I never bench so who knows about that. I gained lean mass all over and even my biceps grew. I was also surprised that my strict pullups got better but I also think mentally I got a bit tougher after pushing through the squat program. Of course pushing hard through a near failed squat does go beyond quads anyhow.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
Jason Halm

Profile:

Not to mention the fact that taking time off a lift generally improves it, if you've been training it for a substantial period of time.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #23
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
My point is that it creates assymetries which increase likelihood of injury. NOT that you can't be an elite anything with assymetries, but your risk of injury is that much greater.

Most sports lead to these assymetries. The less sports you play the greater your chance of creating these. Maybe that's another reason why most don't age gracefully, at least physically speaking.
Okay, then how does sprinting create assymetries? Specifically the assymetry where the quads become too strong relative to the hamstrings?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #24
Ian Nigh

Profile:

To my understanding, athletes that focus mostly or entirely on developing their squats tend to become strong and powerful.

If all you did was float around in a saltwater tank and emerge once or twice a day to do heavy back and front squats, I think you would still become strong and powerful. I dont think this experiment has been done (although it may have been tried by the Soviet Union).