CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Kyle Ligon

Profile:
Football Field WOD Ideas...Need Help!!!

A group of 5-10 of us have started using a local high school's football field to do WODs a couple of times a week. They have a track, 4 tractor tires, a sled, 50ft rope (nothing to hang it on), cones, pull-up bars, and dip bars. We have been going for a couple of weeks now and we are having a hard time coming up with new things to do. Any good WOD ideas? Between the people in our group, we have a lot of additional equipment we can bring from home. Basically, anything found in a CrossFit box.

Here are a couple we have done so far:
4 RFT
400m Run
7 Tire Flips
30 Sec of Rope work (rope wrapped around the goal post)

5 RFT
10 Burpee Pull-ups
5 Tire Flips
40yrd Suicide Run

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:
Re: Football Field WOD Ideas...Need Help!!!

I don't recall exactly how it works b/c I haven't tried it yet, but something like this:

Start with KB at goal line. Sprint with KB to 5/10yd line and drop it. Sprint back to goal line. Sprint to 5/10yd, pick up KB and advance it to next line.

Can mix in burpees, swings, KB snatches, pushups, situps at the turnaround points as well. Might be interesting to make the number of things you do equivalent to the yard line that you are on (i.e. 5KB swings on the 5 yard line, etc).

Apparently strict suicide sprints aren't bad enough. :stir:
Old 07-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Check out Crossfit Football, they've got some good stuff to do on a football field.

What equipment can you bring out? Bars, bumpers, rings, kb's?

The 2 workouts posted included tire flips. How about no tire flips for 2 weeks to challenge your creativity even more...
Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

There are 5-10 of you and that is all you can come up with? I could think at least 40 workouts right of the top of my head and at least 100 if I put some effort into it. You guys need to brainstorm and be more creative.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Kyle Ligon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
There are 5-10 of you and that is all you can come up with? I could think at least 40 workouts right of the top of my head and at least 100 if I put some effort into it. You guys need to brainstorm and be more creative.
Thanks for the help Doug. We didn't think of trying to come up with something on our own...

Obviously, we are going to be making up WODs as we go. The reason for the post was to get original ideas from people to help us brainstorm workouts. We check the main site and CrossFit football regularly and can bring out almost any equipment, but not enough for everyone to be using at the same time. We are constantly running into bottlenecks.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
adam adkins

Profile:

As Doug pointed out, there are so many possible combinations that it is worthless to name one. All are valid and would be a great workout. With that said, here are a couple of tips:

1) Don't get stuck in the "RFT" rut. Sure it is a great workout but it isn't the only configuration that works.

2) Rotate stations and do set times with set rest. For example- 1min work/:30 rest. Stations - tires flips, Battling rope, "Jingle Jangle" cones, deadhang pull-ups, pushups. Perfect for 5 people. 4 rounds is a 30 minute workout.

3) try team competitions.

4) Not every piece of equipment must be used every workout. There is nothing wrong with just doing a sprint workout one morning.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Dana Rice

Profile:

we have a group of usually 4 guys and we do the same thing on Saturday mornings. Some of my personal favorites have included setting up a station every 100m on the track (Ex: Kettlebells, Bar for Snatches or Cleans, Box, Burpees), then do like 4 rounds.

When on the field, we have also incorporated the rope, weight vest, goal post for pull ups, tires, sledges, push sleds, farmers handles among other things.

One of my favorite 'gym' days for sure.

edit: 100m, not 400m - that would be a pretty big track.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Todd Rehm

Profile:

I like to take a medicine ball out to the field. I like to make up games with the medicine ball.

Throws over the football goal's horizontal bar are roughly equivalent to a wall ball. Make it into five rounds of twenty throws, using a different throw-style each time, and twenty burpees.

Rounds of partner-to-partner throws over the bar with a sprint or shuttle run might be nice. Make one partner carry the ball for the sprint and alternate who carries it.

Throws down the field, run to the ball, do five burpees, pick it up, lather, rinse, repeat, then when you get to the other end, pick up the ball and run back to the beginning with it. Do five rounds, using a different throw each round. Overhead, backwards overhead, underhand granny throw, right rotational and left rotational.

Partner throws down the field, with a short couplet at the end of the field of burpees, pushups, squats, whatever.

Throw the ball, then flip the tire till it reaches the ball. Then throw the ball again. Make it a down-and-back race.

If you want a really brutal workout, combine throws with a heavy med-ball, burpees and the sled.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Gary Butterfield

Profile:

My affiliate did a great medicine ball workout last week, it was horrible but fantastic both at the same time, funy how that works!

The workout was with a 10kg ball...

In partners for time:

400m overhead run
100 wall balls over the rig (or posts in this case)
400m any carry run
100 sit ups
400m any carry run
100 wall balls over the rig (or posts in this case)
400m overhead run

The ball can't touch the floor at any point throughout this WOD, the only time the ball can touch the floor is when taking it behind your head on the sit ups. You can change over on the runs as often as you like, making sure it isn't grounded.

If the ball touches the floor at any time, the punishment for both athletes is 10 burpees...

I think it took me and my partner just over 20 minutes to complete, but I can't be sure without having my training diary next to me. All in all it was a fun and very challenging session!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Kyle Ligon

Profile:

This is great! I like the medicine ball ideas and placing equipment around the track. We are going to be doing a team WOD today and will incorporate some of these ideas.