CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Potentially stupid question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
others would rather look like a 75kg weightlifter or a beach volleyball player or a top CFer or a figure competitor and go after those goals by training and eating like one of those respective athletes.
There. It just reads better that way .
Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Williamson View Post
. Admittedly, when I started, looks were my main motivation, but now that I've been doing it for a little bit, I find myself striving to do better for the performance aspect rather than the looks aspect.
This is how it goes with the vast majority of people who stick with it and see true results. Gold star.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #23
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
It's all about how you define what "looking good" . . . Some women think a runway model or a Tracy Anderson follower is the ideal look and aspire to that . . . Obviously I have my preferences of what I think looks good and is healthy, but I'm not going to judge the goals of someone who's willing to work for them.
Don't worry Eric, I'll judge enough for the both of us!

Seriously, though, I will judge people on their goals if their goals encourage people to harm themselves, which is exactly what these crappy unrealistic body image goals do. I'll absolutely judge someone like Tracy Anderson who encourages women to be fragile weaklings who feel bad about realistic bodies.

Being non-judgemental is fine when the choice doesn't/shouldn't matter but I sure as heck won't sit here and act like all goals are equally desirable/valid when some promote harm or negative consequences instead of positive change.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #24
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
I don't think I could ever become as skinny as a runway/cover model, nor would I want to. I just want to be healthy and look AND feel good, so what I'm getting from everyone's responses is that CF is the way to go. I've definitely noticed a change since I've started, which is encouraging.
Besides, I enjoy some 'bad' foods too much to obsess about how I look or every little thing that I'm putting in my mouth, though I do try to eat cleanly everyday. Some days, it just doesn't happen for every meal though. I figure, as long as I'm not competing (which I'm not and won't be), I'd rather enjoy life every now and again and eat that brownie or take a day off.
Stick thin and weak is ugly. I'm about as shallow-minded a man as you get, and the photos of runway models and anorexic-looking photoshopped/airbrushed cover girls just make me disgusted.

You're always competing. Against yourself. Against your friends. Usually after a few months of CF women all of a sudden realize it's fun and cool to be strong and healthy and be able to do stuff they've never thought themselves capable of before, i.e. pullups.

Quote:
No that made a lot of sense. I do want to feel good and I've noticed a difference since I've started CrossFit. Admittedly, when I started, looks were my main motivation, but now that I've been doing it for a little bit, I find myself striving to do better for the performance aspect rather than the looks aspect. Besides, pushing myself with CF and eating well just makes me feel better in general, so I'll be sticking to it!

Thanks for the response!
It's fun to be healthy, strong and confident, huh? Kick butt!