CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Will Feber

Profile:
CF without a trainer

It's often mentioned that people can easily do crossfit without a trainer, since a lot of information is freely available. Is that generally a good idea though?

I'm asking because it seems pretty hard to learn complex olympic lifts by yourself, especially if the goal is to do them for time with high reps.

I would obviously prefer if I could go to a class, but there isn't one anywhere close unfortunately.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: CF without a trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
It's often mentioned that people can easily do crossfit without a trainer, since a lot of information is freely available. Is that generally a good idea though?

I'm asking because it seems pretty hard to learn complex olympic lifts by yourself, especially if the goal is to do them for time with high reps.

I would obviously prefer if I could go to a class, but there isn't one anywhere close unfortunately.
Is this place not an option?
http://www.crossfitwerk.de/ (wfs)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:

Learning how to "CrossFit" and learning how to Olympic lift are two very different things.

If you want to be good at Olympic lifting, I suggest finding an Olympic lifting coach.

I generally don't recommend doing Olympic lifts for high reps, but maybe that's just me.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Will Feber

Profile:

While in the same city, it would take me one hour to get there and one back.. I would do it though. Unfortunately they have no morning classes, which for work reasons is the only time I can train.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Learning how to "CrossFit" and learning how to Olympic lift are two very different things.

If you want to be good at Olympic lifting, I suggest finding an Olympic lifting coach.

I generally don't recommend doing Olympic lifts for high reps, but maybe that's just me.
Aren't olympic lifts a part of a lot of crossfit wods though? You are basically suggesting to do crossfit wods without olympic lifts?

Aside from them, the other exercises appearing in crossfit wods are perfectly fine to learn by yourself? I mean, regarding proper form and prevention of injury.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Aren't olympic lifts a part of a lot of crossfit wods though? You are basically suggesting to do crossfit wods without olympic lifts?

Aside from them, the other exercises appearing in crossfit wods are perfectly fine to learn by yourself? I mean, regarding proper form and prevention of injury.
Yes, that's what I'm suggesting, but I generally assume that 99% of the people here won't listen.

Regarding proper form and prevention of injury, I think it is much more likely that you will injure yourself throwing up a 95 lb snatch very quickly and for high reps than it is if you were going to take the time to learn to snatch like a weightlifter.

And, yes, people have been running, jumping rope, doing pushups, lifting barbells and all sorts of other things that appear in WODs all by themselves for hundreds and even thousands of years depending on the exercise. The human race hasn't died out yet.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Doing Olympic lifts for time is a good way to develop sloppy form and not get stronger at them. Getting stronger in Oly lifts teaches explosive hip/knee extension and quick change of direction, which are generally considered to be Good Things when it comes to improving fitness and athletic performance. It's highly doubtful you'll get the same effect out of doing 75 power snatches for time at 75lbs.

If you don't have the time or money for coaching, you can go a long way by buying copies of SS and Greg Everett's Oly lifting book, going through the progressions in them, and posting videos for critique on here, the SS forum, or Pendlay's forum. Most of the other stuff you'll do in CF isn't really all that hard to self-teach, especially if you subscribe to the CFJ and watch everything you can get ahold of with Burgener, Rip, Martone, Starrett, etc.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Jarrod Henry

Profile:

Unless you have a history in fitness, and know you are doing the movements correctly, then I would suggest HIGHLY you go to an affiliate. I drive 30 minutes to mine, because I wanted a good one. Now, granted, I have only been doing this stuff for a little under two weeks, but I can tell you that the knowledge they bring is going to make me progress faster than someone who is doing it on their own for the first time.

I would suggest contacting the affiliate, mentioned above, and have a good heart to heart about your availability. They might surprise you.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:

this is where you pick over the good stuff and ditch the bad.
High rep sloppy oly lift work is not a good thing.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Will Feber

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. I've read SS and Greg Everett's book should be in my mailbox any day now.

So wods with olympic lifts are really the only ones I should stay away from as a beginner? Wods with 21 rep front or overhead squats are okay? What should I do if wods with olympic lifts appear on the mainsite? Sub them with what?

Thanks!