CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Cory Osborne

Profile:
How's my intake?

Wanting to get back in the swing of things and know it's paramount I gotta get serious with my eating. If someone can "coach" me on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Zone says I'm 15 blocks.

This is what I am going to eat for 2 weeks straight: no sugar, no deviation (unless you give me reason to)!

Breakfast:
2 whole eggs; 1 apple(of course I keep the skin on!); Tbsp natural peanut butter(no hydrogenated b/s); 8oz. fat free milk.

*WOD is usually about right here*

Snack:
1 orange; 1/2 slice toast(it's pretty grainy, 5 grams of fiber); 9 olives; 4 oz. turkey deli meat(low sodium boarshead, anything else?).

Lunch:
1/2 romaine head; 1/4 cucumber; 1/2 green bell pepper; ~1/4 cup organic corn; 2-3 Tbsp olive oil vinegarette; 3 oz. chicken breast; 2 campari tomatoes.

*Or right here for the WOD*

Snack:
3/4 cup cottage cheese; 3 kiwis(from Heaven I'm sure); 9 almonds.

Dinner:
Alternate between 4oz Salmon and 4oz top sirloin; 2 cups cooked broccoli; 1 slice toast(yeah yeah yeah, I know, its the same as sugar :P, w/butter spreaded on.

I take a multivitamin with breakfast and one fishoil with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Any advice will help, as long as it's backed by performance, of course

Old 04-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Greg Privitera

Profile:
Re: How's my intake?

1. Meals look good, but variation is important. It would be fine to eat the same thing every day as an "introductory" phase, but switch things up after that.

2. Toast is not the same as sugar. Try to get ezekial brand if you can, or something similar. Nothing made with flour. Worst part about toast is the gluten (protein).
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Cory Osborne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
1. Meals look good, but variation is important. It would be fine to eat the same thing every day as an "introductory" phase, but switch things up after that.

2. Toast is not the same as sugar. Try to get ezekial brand if you can, or something similar. Nothing made with flour. Worst part about toast is the gluten (protein).
Cool, thanks Greg. I will be switching things up after the two weeks. Good call on the ezekiel bread!

You brought up an interesting point about the gluten. I've read pretty much more than I can bare on Wiki and other websites and it seems that it is only bad if you have and allergy to it.
"Between 0.5 and 1.0 percent of people in the United States are sensitive to gluten due to Coeliac disease.[15][16] Coeliac disease is caused by an abnormal immune reaction to partially digested gliadin. It probably occurs with comparable frequencies among all wheat-eating populations in the world.[17] Certain allergies and neuropathies are also caused by gluten consumption and inhalation.[18]" -Wikipedia

Maybe I haven't done enough research to find it but I would really like to know why it is so bad if I don't have Coeliac disease. Thanks again Greg!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Actually almost everyone has some sort of a reaction to gluten, just the degree of the reaction varies; this is according to Robb Wolf. The only way to know if it affects you is to cut it out for a month and then re-introduce it back into your diet.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Yeah coeliac's disease is just an extreme insensitivity. It's a continuum, most everyone is somewhat sensitive.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Joe Davison

Profile:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-part-two.aspx