CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 PM   #21
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Theory aside, Atkins nearly put me in the hospital. Since then I have carefully watched acquaintances that have lost a lot of weight on Atkins, and all but one gained the weight back, plus more and said they felt they had lost muscle tone. This adds up to what my doctor told me which was that I had cannibalized key body tissues along with the fat. Early man was an opportunist eater, and no doubt any one source of food supply would not last long. So I believe the duration of eating a pure protein diet was probably short, except for populations like Eskimos. I also think early man would not like to eat a monotonous diet any more than we would. Scientists that have looked at ancient preserved human waste in caves have found that the native peoples of the United States ate a wide variety of foods. When you consider that we just found the molecule that causes M. S. and just a few years back discovered that spinabifida was diet related, eating a wide variety of foods may be the best bet to insure wellness. There is so much we do not understand about trace minerals in our food and how they contribute to health.

As for chocolate milk, I make mine with not fat milk, and I use half the mix that is recommended, just because it's too sweet for me. With some nuts this may be the healthy option your looking for. For those of you that make your own ice cream, I have tried a "work out" chocolate gelato that is made with part chocolate milk and part commercial chocolate whey powder. I want to tryit with sliced almonds. I find that the chocolate milk does work for muscle recovery, and since I only allow myself this treat IF I work out hard, it's a great incentive.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #22
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I stopped spiking insulin a couple of months ago, when I switched to a CrossFit template. I stopped because on this template I am no longer lifting heavy weights with the frequency that I used to, so an insulin spike is no longer necessary for optimal recovery. I am leaner than I was when I spiked insulin (not by much, though).

However, between workouts, walking, and a lot of Capoeira, I started to lose a little weight last week, so I have started adding a protein drink with a 2:1 sugar:protein ratio (Surge) back in. I'm not adding it in as a post-workout drink, though; I'm adding a half-serving before workouts and during Capoeira workouts. I think that this will give me more bang for my buck than a post-workout spike.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #23
Ross Hunt

Profile:
BTW, Dave Barr's most recent article -

http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=CCB3BF584A4880CC462F07E64CB289C5.hydra ?id=659666

- suggests that eating IMMEDIATELY post-workout jeaprodizes protein synthesis. More and more of T-nation's articles lately have been pointing towards pre-workout nutrition being more important than post-workout nutrition, and my experience with taking Branch Chain Amino Acids pre-workout definitely supports this as well.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #24
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ross-

We are working on an interview with Dr. Tom Fahey of CSU, Chico (a friend of Dan John's) who has some great data on pre WO protein feedings and anabolism. We'll let you know when it will be happening.
Robb
Old 07-02-2005, 01:51 PM   #25
Dan Silver

Profile:

Will somebody please get Wolf a lab coat?

-D.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #26
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Robb,

Cool. I look forward to hearing about that.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #27
Pat Janes

Profile:

I used to have a small protein+no fat milk drink post WOD; not really an insulin spike at about 2P:1C. But I've now moved to just a 1 block Zone snack after the WOD now, all food.

I can appreciate the "science" behind a pre-WOD (particularly protein) feeding. But, in practice, if I ate anything before doing a workout with the intensity of most WODs, none of that nutrition will do me any good on the way back up again...