CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
Graeme Cunningham

Profile:  
What is the best way to lose some body fat,I would like to shed about 20lbs,but I don't have time to count calories.
What would be the best type of diet I could use or should I just eat clean.

I keep seeing the paleo diet mentioned is thisa good diet?health wise?
Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Paleo all the way. Stick with meat and veggies and you'll get to where you want to be. Fruits and nuts can be problematic if you're trying to lose bodyfat.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

im sorry, Jay, but I have to disagree with you on your take on nuts. Well, certain nuts. Me for example should not eat pecans because they're addicting. walnuts, however, are good sources of omega 3 fatty acids and have less than a gram of active carbs per serving. Almonds only have two grams per serving. I put on muscle while dropping my BF % by 3 points while eating LOTS of almonds and walnuts.
but, thats just me.

Graeme,
like Jay mentioned, meat and veggies should be the bulk of your foods. I dont count calories either, like most people on this board. Personally, I reccomend Natural Hormonal Enhancement as far as an actual diet goes. Read what is written in Coach's "World class fitness in 100 words" That will take you quite far. Good luck.

Cheers

Roy
Old 05-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
Paul M

Profile:

Graeme,

If you're not going to count calories, then you need to adopt a system of eating which will naturally provide fewer calories than you need to maintain your current weight.

Paleo is a great choice in this respect. Eating (lean) meats, seafood, and fruits and veggies, you're unlikely to overeat, caloriewise. Nuts are fairly calorie dense, but won't be a problem unless you eat them in large amounts.

Coach's recommendations that Roy mentioned, are another example of a system which will tend to provide fewer calories without counting. In fact, almost any system which stresses unprocessed or minimally processed food will provide fewer calories than those that don't. Just take whole wheat bread versus white bread. 1 ounce of whole wheat bread has 70 calories, while 1 ounce of white bread has 83. Less processing=fewer calories (nearly all of the time.)

So whether its Paleo or something else, my recommendation is to minimize processed foods, with a focus on keeping processed sugar (including high fructose corn syrup,) white flour, and white rice to a minimum. For most people, just eliminating those processed carbs will mean fat loss.

-Paul M
Old 05-11-2004, 05:35 AM   #5
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roy,

I agree that nuts and especially walnuts are incredibly nutritious foodstuffs. Congrats on putting on muscle while losing fat, if I recall correctly you are/were EXTREMELY active, hence your ability to eat more food. Maybe it's my lack of self control, but nuts pose a problem for me as they are so incredibly easy to overeat. To each his own :-)
Old 05-11-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Roy

Profile:

Jay,

Im not as active as I use to be, and like yourself, nuts pose a problem for me as far as limtations go. I have to work out less now (1 workout a day 3 days on, 1 day off instead of 2-3 workouts a day mon--fri, 1 sat) because of a disorder in my central nervous system, along with an orthopoedically challenged hip. My fat level has gone up to about 4.5% now. I feel a little better. Less "brittle"

Cheers

Roy
Old 05-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I quit beer, and the pounds came off. :-)
Old 05-14-2004, 06:23 AM   #8
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
cut(at least drastically reduce)the four whites;bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. these are the suckers that get ya. additionally, practice portion control and eat balanced, smaller meals thruout the day. "Mastering the Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears. have a beer once in a while(i don't drink so not an issue)and do your WOD. should melt off over course of few months.