CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Press: what's legal?

It's legal.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._CFTotalNZ.mov (wfs)

Watch Zac's Presses.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
Jack Ho

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
The quote applies because we are talking about a single rep, unlike the quote you referenced that pertains to sets of multiple reps. If the bar is traveling downwards before it travels upwards, the 1RM CFT lift is not legal. Make that, if it travels downwards at all. Hence, the request for a video. I have a hard time picturing a shoulder shrug as described ("...and then drop my shoulders slightly before exploding up...") without a bounce/downward bar movement to start it off.
It's easy to do what the OP is suggesting on a single rep as well. Rack the bar, actively pull your elbows down to create stretch, press the bar.

Please point out where in the press rules it states that the bar cannot travel downwards before it travels upwards. Seems like those saying that this is not legal are making up their own interpretations of the press rules.

Quote:
The press is also done from the racks. The bar is held in both hands in front of the neck, taken out of the rack and walked back away from the rack. No contact with the rack is permitted until the bar is replaced in the racks. Once the stance is assumed it cannot change until the lift is completed. The starting position must be upright, with the knees and hips fully extended and the chest up. The bar must be in contact with the top of the shoulders or the chest, whichever individual flexibility permits. After the starting position is correctly assumed, the bar is pressed overhead until the elbows are completely extended, with the bar in a position directly above the ears. Once this position has been attained, the bar is lowered back to the front of the shoulders and walked back into the rack and replaced.
Any halt in the upward motion of the bar, identified as the part of the bar between the hands, constitutes a missed attempt, as does any change in the position of the feet against the floor during the attempt, any bending of the knees, or excessive backward lean of the torso as identified by A) the position of the most anterior aspect of the armpit, B) the most posterior aspect of the buttocks, C) the plane formed by a straight line between these two points, and D) the movement of that plane to a position behind the vertical. Any deliberate attempt to raise the bar counts as an attempt. Spotters are not permitted for this lift.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
It's legal.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._CFTotalNZ.mov (wfs)

Watch Zac's Presses.

You gonna take your form queues from a really old video of a guy with an (ugly) CFT of 755?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
After the starting position is correctly assumed, the bar is pressed overhead until the elbows are completely extended, with the bar in a position directly above the ears. Once this position has been attained, the bar is lowered back to the front of the shoulders and walked back into the rack and replaced.
Any halt in the upward motion of the bar, identified as the part of the bar between the hands... constitutes a missed lift

I guess if you can pull your elbows down to create the stretch reflex without any halt in the upward motion of the bar then you're ok.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
You gonna take your form queues from a really old video of a guy with an (ugly) CFT of 755?
I'm going to take the definition of what's legal from a video produced by the people who decide what's legal.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Alright, I was watching the videos for the past CrossFit games, and I found an example of the motion in the 2007 CrossFit games CFT video:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Highlights.wmv (WFS)

At around 2:18, just prior to the press, if you look closely, you can see a quick, subtle dip just before the guy presses the bar when he lowers his shoulders. This is pretty much the exact thing that I'm doing.
The judges don't flag him, so I'm going to keep doing it.