CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Jake Oleander

Profile:
Re: Apartment CrossFitters

i have a self made pull up bar thats exactly the height of my apartment ceiling. i mount my rings from this bar and it is set up right next to my paralletes. Unfortunately, i cant lift heavy weights as i have wood floors and am on the third floor. but basically i have everything i need for a complete upper body workout (LOL, sounds like a bowflex commercial.)
Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
Travis Hall

Profile:

I donít really mess around with weights too much- so the apartment isnít half bad.

I have one of those pullup/dip station towers at the foot of bed in my bedroom. My girlfriend thinks it ugly as sin- but the dip bars make a great clothes rack.
Hang my rings off the ends of the pull up bar for dips, levers and other fun stuff.
Have some plates pile din the corner for weighted dips and pulls.

In the living room I keep one wall completely empty and have my parallettes there so I can kick up against the wall for high rep HSPU or use it as a safety if working free standing. Also left enough space for a long yoga mat so I can work other stuff without fear of slipping. Gives a bit of a cushion as well when doing burpees.

This setup keeps me pretty happy. Ideally I would like it all in one room. But then again Iíd probably just end up dragging the parallattes out all the time to play with when I watch TV.

For muscleups and when I get the urge to do weights and stuff I either go to a park or one of the university gyms.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #13
Derek Richardson

Profile:

Hello,

Has anyone tried the Easy Effort pullup bar UD6 in their apt?

If so, does it work as advertised? Does it mar the walls?

Thanks for the help!

Derek

http://www.pullupbar.com/
Old 06-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
Tim Wheeler

Profile:

I don't think I'm supposed to but I mounted my rings in the ceiling anyway. I can patch the holes later. Just shut your bedroom door if maintenance needs to come in to fix something.

I have a glute/ham bench next to my bed.

Made a basketball/wall ball for under 10 bucks. I just step outside and throw it straight up instead of bouncing it off of my neighbor's wall.

Olympic barbell and weights in bedroom.

Wide doorway into the kitchen is perfect for my pullup bar.

In the process of making a plyobox.

I'm on the first floor so the jump roping and barbell exercises aren't a big deal.

I drove around in my apartment complex to measure out a 400m and 800m loop. They aren't exact but luckily they come pretty dang close. Of course you could just measure halfway and double back if you don't have a loop.

Can't afford a rower right now.

I'm shopping for a kettle bell or thinking of different ways to make one cheap with some lead shot and a canvas bag or something similar I saw online the other day.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
Eric Schreiber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Green View Post
So, a lot of CrossFitters work out in their garage, because really a garage gym is all you need. But I'm curious to know where those of us (myself included) who rent workout? Conventional gym, CrossFit gym, or other? I work out in a conventional gym, they have basically all the equipment I need minus kettlebells and rings. I was thinking about leasing a storage unit (for about the same price as my gym membership) and building my own CrossFit gym in there. So, if you live in an apartment, what's your method of CrossFit?
Ryan-
This a good topic- here in NYC, space is always a challenge- as is trying to not be a bad neighbor with too much noise, etc. I do part of my training in my apartment and the rest outside. I'm fortunate to live across from a park with pull-up bars, monkey bars and parallel bars. It also has some handball courts where I can do my medicine ball drills. I have a 10lb bouncing med ball to do high velocity throws and put it in a sling for some rotational drills. Basically, all the things I can't do inside I do out in the park. I get out early before all the school kids are out.
My indoor gym consists of kettlebells, parallettes, physioballs, bungee cords, plyoboxes, pull-up bar and rings. The biggest thing is to consolidate space by stacking as much as possible and designating an area for the gear so as not to get assaulted by my wife. I put my small gear in a basket (cables, wrist roller, jump ropes, chalk, etc.). I place my weight vest on BOB (body opponent bag)- looks like he's wearing a flack jacket- who hangs out in a corner when not being smacked around. I have a floor-standing steel bar apparatus that I hang my pull-up bar and rings from. I hang by my gravity boots and do trunk work- I would never risk hanging from a doorframe or drilling into the ceiling in this building. So I have pretty much everything covered except for the traditional free weight and Olympic lift set-up. After twenty years of that, I'm pretty much maintaining my strength/ power with kettlebells and bodyweight gear. Haven't belonged to a gym in years and when I see or talk to people who train in a traditional gym, I'll take my set-up every day of the week. Not perfect: Still no place to hang my climbing rope. Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
Pedro Nabais

Profile:

I workout im my apartment too it's got restrictions and I have to sub with imagination but it feels great and I save a lot of money, no way I'm going back to a GloboGym.

- For pullups I have a bar mounted in the wall that only allows strict pullups (ouch)thats the reason doing Murph lasts me 50 minutes
- I also have a barbell set without bumpers which works great for everything except ME Oly lifts , almost destroyed the wall and killed myself when failing a snatch so I always sub a singles ME workout like today's for a 5x5 of the same movement.
- For running I do jump rope, 100 single-unders for 400 meters as fast as I can.
- For dips I use two tall chairs.
- For GHD sit ups I sit on a bench and hook my feet on the barbell.
- In the weekend if the weather's good I just go running a nice 10 km in the park.

Bottom line, altough I workout in an apartment and have equipment restrictions I'm doing CrossFit, enjoying it and improving like never before.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
Augustine Castronovo

Profile:

I work out on our 2nd story patio and drive the neighbors crazy at times.
I have...

TAPS pull-up bar
kettlebells: 12kg, 16kg, 24kg
300 pounds of bumpers (wright fitness)
pendalay hd bar
ab mat
jump rope
rings
road to run in

with that i can do 90% of the workouts without subs
Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
Jared Ashley

Profile:

bought a few things, built a few things. Started a thread on it awhile back to provide info and motiviation for CF'ers stuck in apartments. Pics included.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38707 (WFS)

I've added a couple things since... built a pair of stands so my standard bar with small-diameter weights can start at official deadlift/C&J/Snatch height. Also bought another set of 25's so that I can load the bar up past 295... although to be fair there's going to come a point where the bar can't take the punishment I'm giving it... it bends quite a bit on my heavy DL sets.