CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
Tex728

Profile:  
I recently read the article about building an Olympic body with bodyweight exercises only. I was amazed about that gymnast who maxed out the Deadlift at 400 lb. The article said that bodyweight exercises could be used to build amazing strength. Today during my warmup while practicing the Tuck Planche on my parralletes (sp?) I decided to try a pushup too. I couldn't complete full ROM but I was curious about whether this exercise would build substantial strength to compliment pushups?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Yes it will build monster strength. Consider how cripplingly difficult planche's are, once mastered with their dynamic components; pushups will not be good enough to warm you up!
Old 06-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Tex728

Profile:  
Thanks Graham. I don't know if I have a lazy/poor work ethic but Im always trying to find something that will build up the same kind of strength/endurance that takes less time and is more interesting than just hundreds of pushups.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
Tex728

Profile:  
Oh also, sorry I forgot, I was also curious. While doing them I felt as if I was crossing a fine line between dips and a pushup. I don't know if my form was just bad, or if it was a natural occurence from using parrallel bars.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:31 AM   #5
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Well I'm not too sure what you mean, maybe your hips are no longer level with your shoulders as you tire. Their isn't much difference in what a push up or dip hits. Think of the planche press up as a horizontal dip, or a push up with no leg support.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #6
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Any thoughts on the transition between the frog and the tuck planche? I can hold a frog for about a minute, but I can't hold on to the tuck planche at all. I'm thinking incline bench presses and HSPUs might help strengthen the shoulder girdle/upper chest, but can anyone recommend other good assistance exercises?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:09 AM   #7
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Mark, it is a really difficult transition. I don't think the problem is your upper body, the main reason I fail on either the planche progressions or lever progressions is a lack of sufficient trunk strength. With the arms straight you should be able to hold yourself up using mostly your bones. The best way I can think of to progress is to do like the article says and go for 60 seconds air time even if that means holding for 1 second at a time, and use L-sits and other gymnastic ab-strength excersises.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 AM   #8
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Hey Mark,

Coach Sommer has a few answers in the response to this message:

http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/258554/

I wish I could offer you some personal experience but I never got farther than a straight-armed frog sit.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:38 AM   #9
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Thanks Graham and Ross. I just tried Coach Somer's suggestion about pressing up from the floor. That worked...I couldn't straighten my arms, but I was able to get up off the ground for about five seconds. It's a start!

Old 06-17-2004, 01:08 AM   #10
Pat Janes

Profile:

Mark,

I saw Coach Sommer's post to the dragon door forum a while back and did exactly what he was suggesting. Even when I could only hold myself off the ground straight arms for 2 secs at a time, that's what I did.

After a couple of weeks, 2secs turned into about 15-20 secs; and 1 inch off the ground turned into 6 inches... basically I think that eventually you just have to "give it a go" no matter how far away the end result seems.

The same goes for the press-to-handstand ideas in the January 2004 Crossfit Journal. It tells you just to keep practicing pressing - no jumping or bouncing into it. A couple of days ago my feet rose off the ground for the 1st time, when it didn't seem like they were ever going to.

Still got a long way to go myself with these things, but the idea of just working at it, and trying things even when it doesn't "feel" like you're getting anywhere has worked for me.