CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #11
Ben Gimball

Profile:

Myron,

The one arm Pull-up is related more to one rep max, than multiple reps. That is not to say that one who is capable of doing a one arm Pull-up cannot do multiple reps. However, it has been my experience that many (most) who can do one very high rep set of Pull-ups, are not always capable of a one arm effort-And those who are capable of a one arm effort do not usually have the highest one set max.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #12
Scott Parker

Profile:
mark-

as far as progression goes, i've sort of been trying off and on to do one since starting crossfit about a year and a half ago. to be honest i haven't really been doing anything else then doing a lot of pull-ups throughtout the day and getting in ot the gym to do the WOD when i can. every once in a while i'll make myself do 200 pull-ups a day, and lately have been adding a few muscle-ups in my warm-up routine as well. as far as climbing goes i haven't been climbing indoor or outdoor since last august (school started and i broke a toe this winter keeping me off the ice for the entire season).

also, the most pull-ups i have done in a row is 24, which isn't really all that high. also, like i mentioned before about the guy who could do the one finger, one arm pull-up, if i remember correctly his one set max was only like around 20.

scott
Old 03-11-2004, 09:04 PM   #13
Q

Profile:  
Just to clarify, we're all talking about one-arm *chin-ups* on a bar, right? I.e., underhand/pronated grip/palm facing you.

I was talking to a friend, and he said that it was anatomically/physiologically impossible for humans to do a one-arm *pull-up* on a bar, i.e. overhand/supinated grip, without using your free hand to grip the other hand's wrist. Something having to do with our shoulder joint.

Anyone want to prove my friend wrong? I already tried and couldn't manage it at all, just way too much swinging in the shoulder joint area, couldn't stabilize at all without resorting to "the wrist holding junk," as Mr. Parker mentioned. I think it has something to do with the biomechanics or physics of the situation.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:37 PM   #14
Mark Roughton

Profile:  
Q, that's a good question. The folks in Coach Sommer's links seem to be talking about a supinated grip. There must be a few rock climbers and Cirque du Soleil hand-balancing artists that have the required strength and balance. Plus, you know, what about all those movie action heroes who pull themselves up onto rooftops or into helicopters with one hand, after holding onto a strut while flying 200 mph an hour through the air...didn't Arnold do that in True Lies or one of his other movies? And isn't that what CF is gonna do for all of us?

:happy:
Old 03-11-2004, 11:04 PM   #15
Scott Parker

Profile:
ok. it's 12:58am east coast time and i just finished typing a research paper due in a few hours. i'm all jolted from the coffee and didn't get to the gym the last few days because of school and the fact that i completely tore up my left hand during the muscle up workout the other day.

so i decided to give the one arm pull-up a shot before bed. i have a hangboard over a doorway and used an overhand grip but sort of got under the doorway sideways, chalked up the hand and...

did my first one arm pull-up! i actually got my chin even with the jug i was holding on to!

Old 03-12-2004, 12:44 AM   #16
Myron Hensel

Profile:
Man thats crazy. Good work! You were holding on to a jug? Maybe the jug aided in your balance? It would also make it heavier too, but Scott thats an amazing physical feat.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:34 AM   #17
Mark Roughton

Profile:  
Scott, that's great!

And putting the kidding from my previous post aside, I am frequently amazed at what the human body can do when it's asked persistently. (It seems like it wasn't too long ago that I was bragging to my kids about how I did 16 pullups all in one evening...then I started CF...)

I may never get a one-handed pullup, but this site keeps reminding me to never say never.

Way to go, Scott. That's really inspiring.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #18
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Q-

There is a tendancy to rotate into a supinated grip in one hand PU efforts. Perhaps this is what your friend is talking about?
Robb