CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-04-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
Matt Goers

Profile:

Hello again! I'm just curious as to what 'day' clean and jerks would fit into? Also what other excersizes supplement them mostly? dead lifts and shoulder presses? I just started doing them yesterday and am looking for a way to get the weight up! Thanks!http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/2241.jpg
Old 12-04-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
Dan John

Profile:

At my little site, http://danjohn.org/coach click on "Olympic Lifting" and you will find a few ideas.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:20 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Matt,

If you just want to focus on the O-lifts, then CrossFit doesn't do that. Dan's got a great site, and of course there are others as well.

Coach does include Clean and Jerks probably twice a month roughly, so you will definitely get to work them, but there is no "day" assigned to them per se. If you glance back through the WOD's (Workout of the Day) for the last couple months, what you'll see is workouts rarely repeat within the same month, much less the same week. The idea is to constantly keep stressing your body in different directions to maximize your training response, at least as I understand it.

If you read some of the introductory stuff, it goes into more detail on the theory. I can tell you, you will not find tougher workouts on the internet--at least that I've found. They often look easy, but I can assure you they're not. I did 210 back squats with 225 pounds tonight, along with 360 situps and 3 400 meter runs.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
One other thing: you are encouraged to work your weak spots after the WOD, or at another time, so you could definitely do the WOD, and keep improving your C&J technique.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Barry - I thought that you were supposed to work weak spots before the WOD, so you aren't worn out when you work on them...
Old 12-06-2003, 12:31 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Kevin,

It's whatever works for you. I personally wouldn't do a C&J workout before a WOD because they take too much gas. I'd do light reps focussing on form after the WOD. That's not to say there's not a better way. I listen to what everybody says, then I make up my own mind, and in my opinion so should everybody else.

My (continuing) weakness is pullups, and for me it makes more sense to do my extra reps after the WOD. I don't like starting the WOD already tired from my warmup.