CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:
very severe headache since doing "diane" on friday

I did diane on friday, new record of 9:18 as rx'ed.

Immediately after finishing the workout i've had a pretty serious migraine-esque headache.

it's gone away on random occasions since then but it's pretty much persisted this whole time.

any ideas??
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Dennis Marshall

Profile:
Re: very severe headache since doing "diane" on friday

Sounds like it could potentially be an exertional migraine. Not that uncommon and many people on these boards have experienced them and discussed them here as well. Use the search function and you should be able to find ample information on other people's experiences.

I personally have experienced one as well. Showed up during a set of overhead squats and lingered for about 2 weeks. Any time I activated the muscles around the shoulder it would come back. Just had to take it easy for a couple weeks, avoid straining and ease back into full intensity.

Probably a good time to take a 50% intensity week or even a full week off and just work on some skills/weaknesses.

If it persists longer than 2 weeks or if it is constant pain (rather than only showing up during exertion) I would have a professional take a look.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Ben Crawford

Profile:

I had the same thing happen in July at the end of "Cindy", which was my second workout day after a week-long vacation.
I saw a physical/sports therapist, chiropractor and medical doctor (D.O.), and had an MRI and blood work done.
Everything came back normal and the headaches disappeared after about a month, for no particular reason.
I discovered that taking Advil 30 minutes or so prior to working out negated or at least lessened the headache.

I still don't know what caused the headaches, but at least I know what didn't.
Now I keep the Advil ready, just in case.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Martin Brown

Profile:

I've had that happen also. I will echo what someone else said, it sounds like an exertion headache. I had it happen doing Fran. The headache started to come on during the thrusters and then after the workout my head felt like it was going to explode and then I had a very dull, but painful headache the rest of the night and into the next day. I tried to do Michael that next day and had to quit because my head hurt so badly.

I did some research on them and they are similar to "cluster migraines." They come around and stick with you for a few days and then go away. I have felt them coming on a few times since then and the key for me is to stop doing what I'm doing when I feel it coming on and let it subside before going on. For me, they seem to come around during thrusters. I noticed that I when I looked towards the ceiling during thrusters that I would feel it coming. I have concentrated on not looking up and it seems to keep them at bay. This is just a personal opinion, but I think when I look up during thrusters that it cuts off the blood supply to my head and then after I finish the the exercise the blood rushes back into my brain.

Try keeping your head more level during deadlifts and HSPU and see if that helps, and remember that when you feel the headache coming on stop and let it subside.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
I've had that happen also. I will echo what someone else said, it sounds like an exertion headache.
Yup. I got this once from Cindy. Messed me up for a few days. I did PR though.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Matthew, I suffered from something very similar while I was at the level 1 cert. this past weekend in Bowling Green. We were doing b2b tabata squats and after a few sets I got this horrible pain in the back of my head and it pretty much stayed with me all day. Its been coming and going since then but it seems to be any time I strain really hard, and I've noticed that if I really focus on maintaining my breath, not holding it, it goes away, so maybe give that a shot. From what i understand about exertion headaches it should go away within two weeks, but Im not sure how true that is if you continue to trigger it.