CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
Tom Fetter

Profile:
I'm 45 tomorrow.

The conventional wisdom 'round here seems either to be to start on Starting Strength, and then scale workouts once they've developed a bit of strength ... or to use BrandX's scaling ... or to use SimpleFit workouts as scaling.

I'm doing the Starting Strength option, and after 3 months or so, would be ready to move into scaled WODs. Except that my son wants to get stronger first ... so we'll stay doing what we're doing 'till Fall.

Bottom line, scale things, learn the movements, then start.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I'm told that the adjustment in O lifting for being 45 years old is a 20% correction to your lift. In other words, the assumption is that a 45 year old has lost around 17% of natural strength compared to a young man (1-1/1.2). Apart from that, there isn't necessarily a major difference between a 20 year old and a fit 45 year old. Yes, recovery times, etc. will be less but if you scale by 0.83x you'll have adjusted for strength differences. And, of course, individuals will differ (Swedish strongmen can be 70 years old).

What does matter is being completely unfit. And for that, I agree that scaling CF is perfectly appropriate. The program you outlined sounds like it would take hours per week to execute whereas 3x per week of 30 minutes of CF would have a big impact.

I started CF when I was recovering from two hip operations. I had almost no strength in my legs.

Your parents can do it....oldtimers that they are at 40+
Old 06-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
Kevin McKay

Profile:
"The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs.

The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind. Our terrorist hunters, skiers, mountain bike riders and housewives have found their best fitness from the same regimen."

Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
Bill Russell

Profile:
Chris,

I see that you are from Lakewood. Paul Z. and I are doing free CF outdoor workouts every saturday in the metroparks. We have a wide range of ages and fitness levels and we pay close attention to scaling our workouts. You and your parents are welcome to join us, we can help you with the scaling.

I'm old too by the way!!

In the words of Bluto Blutarski, "It don't cost nothin", so show up and join us next weekend.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
"The circuit machines are totally isolated, stable and relatively safe to use. A good starting point to safely determine their moveable weights."

The emphasis on resistance and cardio machines will, IMO, take away from effort better spent on developing competency in functional exercises.