CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Zach Harris

Profile:
Talking Why wasn't I informed of this glorious program earlier?

So, I'm on my 2nd day of crossfit, I did "Barbara" today and after puking, I finished my last round. After both WODs I've done, I feel like a rampaging beast when I leave the gym. I really hope this is a trend that continues. Dancing pepper is funny....
Old 03-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Why wasn't I informed of this glorious program earlier?

Zach, I strongly urge you to pull back and slow down a bit. Search "rhabdomyolysis" - if you're on your first few CF workouts, it's likely that your muscles will break down so quickly that the kidneys will be harmed. This is acknowledged by CrossFit (i.e., I'm not making this up!).

From healthline.com:
"Rhabdomyolysis is the breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents into the circulation. Some of these are toxic to the kidney and frequenty result in kidney damage."
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Andrew
It's really only a problem among those who are well-trained to push themselves far beyond their physical pain tolerances, but who are entirely unprepared for the workouts (eg. special ops forces who've not been trained like this or high-level athletes coming back from a layoff). The average Joe will succumb to the pain and lie down on the floor in the fetal position before he gets rhabdomyolysis.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Zach Harris

Profile:

Andrew, I appreciate your concern, thank you. However, I'm fully aware of the perils of rhabdo. I was reading about it in the CFJ and understand not to push myself too hard at this beginning stage. Though I do enjoy the rewarding challenge of this system of fitness as I've never experienced such exhaustion in such a short amount of time. I was talking to my instructor the first day while I was lying on the floor commenting how in the 4 yrs. I was put through "2-a-days" in the August heat, I never felt as tired as I did in the 15 minutes I was doing CF. Still, thanks for the advice and know that it is indeed followed. I don't want to pee coca-cola.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Zach;

You'll never know or be prepared for when Rhado strikes, and I speak from a very recent experience.

My buddy was doing the 5 Pull ups, 10 Push Ups, 15 Air Squats, WOD, had been doing CF for about a year, but he is not a fire breather, just about 6 ft, 200 LB, good shape, but NO stud.

Did most of the last few sets via jumping pull ups, letting himself down easy. That evening, arms were sore, but no big deal, but he did not sleep good. Next day at work, could not lift his arms very far, again, no big deal, but by end of day, they were puff and very sore, plus he was not feeling great and then the dark urine started. He called me on that evening, I suggested he call his doctor, who saw him ASAP. The only reason the doc recognized the symptoms was from a Tri Athlete that had been in that summer, same stuff, different body part.

My buddy was admitted to hospital, spend two days on IV's, now has been home two weeks, walking a block tires him out, 2 push ups, he's toast. It will take him at least 3-6 months to get back to where he was.

So, as you might be aware of Rhad, and most laugh or scoff, CF work outs are perfect for getting this and there are numerous threads on topic.

Your call.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

Patrick, I strongly, strongly, disagree with your statement. As a matter of fact, that statement is wrong and potentially dangerous. I have seen a very out of shape person go into rhabdo from doing jumping pullups. The jump allows full contraction, with little effort from the arms, and allows full eccentric contraction. This put him into rhabdo the next day. There are many ways for an out of shape person to assist concentric contraction, with full eccentric contraction...this is a recipe for a hospital visit and a lot of pain. Additionally, doing these workouts in a compromised state (alcohol abuse for one) could lead to rhabdo in a out of shape person. This is one area where we need to be very carful with the advise we give.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Jumping pull-ups? Holy ****. I've never heard that before. Thank you for correcting me.